Podcasts de história

Estação Ferroviária de Montrose Colorado - História

Estação Ferroviária de Montrose Colorado - História


Estação Ferroviária de Montrose Colorado - História

Sonhos e preservação histórica

Pode-se dizer que Bob Richardson fundou não apenas o Colorado Railroad Museum, mas também o Ridgway Railroad Museum.

Na década de 1950, quando o Rio Grande do Sul estava morrendo, Bob descobriu várias caixas de materiais que iam para o lixão. Ele os recolheu e os entregou ao residente de Ridgway, Smiles C. Dunn, com a advertência: “Mantenha-os em um lugar seguro. Algum dia, haverá um museu aqui para celebrar a contribuição do Rio Grande do Sul para o sudoeste do Colorado. & Quot

Em 1998, quase cinquenta anos depois, a Ouray County Historical Society começou a explorar a possibilidade de desenvolver uma filial para reconhecer a história da pecuária e da ferrovia de Ridgway. O residente de Ridgway, Austin Baer, ​​participou das reuniões iniciais e foi fundamental para o estabelecimento de um museu ferroviário independente em Ridgway - cumprindo a profecia de Bob Richardson. Austin se tornou o primeiro presidente do conselho do museu ferroviário de Ridgway.

Em poucos anos de existência, o Museu fez contribuições significativas para a preservação da história da ferrovia do Colorado. Com foco na restauração, educação e pesquisa, seus membros desenvolveram um recurso valioso para qualquer pessoa de 6 a 96 anos que esteja interessada em como as ferrovias impactaram e mudaram a vida na encosta oeste. Só em 2008, foram 7.084 visitantes atendidos pelo museu de 46 estados e 15 países estrangeiros. Os membros do museu consistem em pessoas de todos os Estados Unidos e Inglaterra - historiadores, fãs de RGS, modelos de ferroviários e aqueles que se orgulham de saber que Ridgway começou sua vida como uma cidade ferroviária.

A restauração tem estado na vanguarda durante nossa existência. Karl Schaeffer começou com sua recriação meticulosa do Motor # 1 de Jack Odenbaugh, que no verão de 2008 estava disponível para os visitantes dirigirem, experimentando a alegria de voltar no tempo 75 anos. Em 2006, D & ampRGW Caboose # 0575 foi transferido do parque da cidade em Ouray e trazido de volta à vida com precisão histórica. Em maio de 2008, Galloping Goose # 4 foi transportado de Telluride para Ridgway, onde agora está passando por uma reconstrução de vários anos que o trará de volta ao ano de 1951.

Um museu ferroviário existe para educar. Nossos artefatos e materiais forneceram a base para os membros do Museu falarem frequentemente em apresentações patrocinadas pela Sociedade Histórica do Condado de Ouray, Sociedade Histórica de Telluride, Sociedade Histórica do Condado de Montrose, Convenções Narrow Gauge nacionais e Ridgway State Park. Os membros escrevem artigos bimestrais sobre a história das ferrovias para o Ouray County Plaindealer e a Ridgway Sun jornais, bem como o boletim informativo mensal do museu. Até esta data, quase 1.000 crianças nos condados de Ouray, San Miguel e Montrose receberam instrução no museu ou por meio de visitas a salas de aula. Desenvolvemos aulas que funcionam com a unidade estadual de história do Colorado ensinada na 3ª ou 4ª série e são visitantes anuais de várias escolas.

Pesquisa e organização de informações RGS em um banco de dados utilizável é uma meta contínua do Museu. Inicialmente, usando os materiais que Bob Richardson resgatou, bem como outras doações, começamos a separar os fatos em tópicos pesquisáveis, como uma lista de atrasos do trem RGS, identificação de todos os motores RGS e comunicações por telegrama. Um dos nossos maiores projetos até o momento foi a compilação de funcionários da RGS, identificando-os por nome, cargo, remuneração, anos de serviço e onde se encontram as informações do Museu sobre eles. Existem atualmente mais de 2.000 indivíduos identificados. As informações estão disponíveis neste site e no próprio museu.

Na primavera de 2008, o Colorado Railroad Museum em Golden doou muitos recursos de papel adicionais sobre o RGS. Os materiais variam de registros pessoais a registros de treinamento, cheques cancelados e correspondência sobre compras e remessas. Desde então, os membros do Museu passaram centenas de horas examinando cada caixa, identificando o que havia nelas, sacudindo a sujeira e colocando-as em novas embalagens, se necessário. As informações recolhidas apenas ao ler os jornais já forneceram muitos artigos recentes de jornais e boletins de museus. A lista de funcionários da RGS aumentou dramaticamente à medida que descobrimos novos funcionários regularmente ou mais fatos sobre aqueles previamente identificados.

Nosso próximo objetivo é combinar nossos recursos para que as informações estejam em um formato de fácil obtenção. Os cheques precisam ir juntos em ordem cronológica. A correspondência deve ser facilmente identificada por ano, localização na ferrovia ou autor. Esses valiosos documentos, alguns dos quais com mais de 100 anos, precisam ser armazenados de maneira a mantê-los em boas condições por mais 100 anos. Quando recebemos solicitações de cópias de materiais relacionados a uma pessoa em particular, precisamos ser capazes de acessar esse material com alguma facilidade e responder a essa solicitação. O Museu também atende a pedidos de informações da comunidade de ferrovias-modelo.

Ridgway foi onde o Rio Grande Southern começou sua jornada para cima e sobre o Dallas Divide para atender às comunidades de mineração de Telluride, Ophir e Rico e para Durango, fornecendo um link para duas seções do Denver e do Rio Grande. A Ridgway fez a manutenção dos motores em sua casa giratória e forneceu os escritórios para conduzir os negócios diários. É oportuno que o Museu Ferroviário de Ridgway também abrigue algumas das informações históricas que documentam a ascensão e queda do Rio Grande Sul. Em apenas onze anos, o Museu desenvolveu um histórico comprovado (sem trocadilhos) que mostra que não só valoriza a preservação da ferrovia, mas também contribui habilmente para isso.

Ridgway foi o ponto de partida do sonho de Otto Mear. A Ridgway Railroad Museum foi a premeditação de Bob Richardson quando ele deixou as primeiras caixas para guardá-las. Como parte da história do Western Slope, Ridgway sempre será a casa da Ferrovia Sul do Rio Grande. Em parceria com o Colorado Railroad Museum, também manterá essas duas visões para as gerações futuras.


Acesso de imagem digital pagina inicial

Coleção D 002 .01 : Fotografias de cidades nas montanhas de Morris San Juan
Coleção D 002 .02 : Fotografias de Andrew Gulliford La Ventana (Colorado)
Coleção D 002 .04 : Fotografias de E. A. Wilder Durango, Rico e Eureka (Colorado)
Coleção D 002 .05 : Fotografias de Lechner / Moss / Greenfield (Rockwood, Colorado)
Coleção D 003: Fotos da construção da barragem Vallecito, 1938-1940 (Condado de La Plata, Colorado)
Coleção D 002.07: Fotografias navajos orientais da família Werito (inclui opiniões do Bureau of Indian Affairs Boarding School em Ignacio, Colorado.)
Coleção M 028, Grupo de Registro 18: Juízes do condado de La Plata (Colorado)

Sons: O Centro de Estudos do Sudoeste, em trabalho em equipe com o Programa de Digitalização Colaborativa, proporcionou acesso a mais de 73 horas de sons gravados das coleções especiais.

Guias educacionais digitais online para as coleções do Centro de Estudos do Sudoeste:
Componentes educacionais de ensino fundamental e médio : Museu / arquivo / guia de atividades da biblioteca

A tabela a seguir fornece links para páginas da web relacionadas a imagens digitais em geral:

Coleção F 021: A coleção Durango

Esta é uma coleção têxtil histórica de aproximadamente 150 itens que foram cuidadosamente compilados ao longo de várias décadas pelos falecidos Jackson Clark e Mark Winter e Richard e Mary Lyn Ballantine. Clique aqui para obter informações sobre a compra de lindos notecards coloridos, pôsteres e gravuras emolduradas de itens da Coleção Durango . O Center of Southwest Studies forneceu acesso digital a esses itens usando as fotografias existentes dos tecidos inventariados. A coleção está organizada nas seguintes oito categorias:

Arqueológico / Diversos, por volta do ano 800 a 1920 Navajo Classic, 1750-1875
Serape / Saltillo Serape, 1750-1940 Histórico / Transitório, 1870-19 35
Rio Grande, 1800-1920 Navajo Regional, 1900-1935
Pueblo, 1850-1950 Navajo Contemporary, 1960-current

Coleção F 014: Têxteis da Southwest ( além do Coleção Durango )

Esta é uma coleção de mais de 100 tecidos tecidos no sudoeste dos EUA por índios Navajo, hispano-americanos e outros. Cada item foi inventariado e é catalogado online. Durante o processo de inventário do Centro na década de 1990, a equipe tirou fotos Polaroid de cada item, que digitalizamos para melhorar o acesso a esses objetos (todos agora armazenados em depósitos curatoriais laminados), muitos dos quais são grandes e pesados ​​e, portanto, de difícil manuseio para realmente ver. Alguns desses têxteis também são descritos e desenhados em um livro-razão de descrição de têxteis (ainda não digitalizado) que foi produzido por Homer Root no Center of Southwest Studies várias décadas atrás. Clique aqui para começar a visualizar as imagens desses tecidos.

Coleção M 124: livros de registro de aquisições de Homer Root que descrevem objetos no museu do Fort Lewis College (Centro de Estudos do Sudoeste) Clique aqui para ler o que o Sr. Root achou de seu trabalho quando terminou de desenhar no quinto livro-razão no início de 1969.

O Center of Southwest Studies digitalizou cada página dos cinco livros de acesso de artefatos coloridos cuidadosamente desenhados do Fort Lewis College (ca. 1958-1968) que descrevem artefatos (incluindo cerâmicas antigas e têxteis clássicos) que Homer Root curou no antigo Fort Lewis College museu. Cada um dos cinco volumes contém aproximadamente 300 páginas de texto manuscrito e desenhos coloridos, para um total estimado de 1.500 imagens.

O Sr. Root fez, com efeito, para a era pré-computador o que o Colorado Digitization Project está se preparando para alcançar para a era da World Wide Web: melhorar o acesso a uma grande variedade de itens de coleção por uma combinação de texto e imagens vinculadas de forma a apresentar o acervo da coleção no contexto. Os desafios aqui eram o problema físico de como digitalizar com segurança uma página de 13,75 & quot & quot high x 10.5 & quot em um volume encadernado em couro que não poderíamos desvincular e como enfrentar o problema de acesso intelectual de apresentar essas imagens de uma forma que preserve a unidade de todo o volume. Foi o mesmo desafio que o Sr. Root descreveu no final do Volume 5 - para ele, a dificuldade era produzir desenhos a óleo e entradas sem erros nas páginas desses volumes encadernados. Para preservar o acesso aos livros-razão em sua totalidade, decidimos examinar todas as páginas que continham alguma entrada. Nem todas as páginas contêm desenhos, algumas páginas contêm apenas o texto manuscrito do Sr. Root, em tinta azul com suas ocasionais notas em tinta vermelha da disposição da instituição do item descrito.

Coleção M 088: jornais do sudoeste

O Center of Southwest Studies tem a coleção mais abrangente de jornais da região de Four Corners (em outras palavras, as partes adjacentes dos quatro estados adjacentes de Colorado, Novo México, Arizona e Utah). Esses materiais estão na cópia impressa original (jornal) e / ou em rolos de microfilme. Consulte os inventários online para obter uma lista detalhada desses jornais geograficamente e por título.

O Programa de Digitalização Colaborativa forneceu acesso a dois dos primeiros jornais de Durango, o Durango Democrata e a Durango Assalariado. Para visualizá-los online, vá para www.ColoradoHistoricNewspapers.org - o Programa de Digitalização do Colorado Coleção de jornais históricos do Colorado de várias centenas de milhares de páginas dos primeiros jornais publicados do Colorado & # 8217 por volta de 1859-1923. Na guia & quotSearch All & quot, insira um termo de pesquisa e quaisquer outros parâmetros para restringir sua pesquisa.

O Center of Southwest está produzindo imagens digitais de seus próprios acervos de papel à medida que são solicitadas por pesquisadores que pagam por este serviço. Clique aqui para ver o início desse projeto: página 2 de 23 de junho de 1960 Basin Star logo depois que o Partido Democrata do Colorado realizou sua convenção em Durango.

Coleção M 194: A coleção de Nina Heald Webber Southwest Colorado: cartões postais
Cartões postais históricos da região de quatro cantos do sudoeste de Colorado.
Mais de 3.200 cartões postais, a maioria deles exibidos online, mostrando os dois lados.

Volume 1
Durango, antiga (sem gravuras cromolíticas)
Volume 2
Durango, mais tarde, e ferrovias regionais
(estampas cromalíticas)
Volume 3
Mesa Verde e Ruínas Astecas (N.M.)
Volume 4
Silverton / Million Dollar Highway / Animas Canyon
Volume 5
Telluride / Rico /
Ouray / Ophir
Volume 6
Mancos, Cortez e outros sudoeste
Áreas do Colorado

O que devo fazer com o meu ter coleção de cartões-postais antigos da Southwest? Devido à publicação do Amostra de San Juan: seleções da coleção de cartões postais de Nina Heald Webber (Durango, Colo .: Durango Herald Small Press, 2004), o Centro está recebendo consultas. Aqui está uma sugestão:

O E-Bay pode ser um grande recurso para você, tanto para ver para que tipos de cartão-postal relacionados estão sendo vendidos, quanto para você vender o seu próprio na web. Vender o seu próprio pode ser mais do que você deseja, especialmente para um número relativamente pequeno de itens. Talvez você esteja interessado em doá-los para o Center of Southwest Studies (se eles se encaixarem no foco da coleção Four Corners do Centro e se o Centro ainda não os tiver em seu acervo). Dessa forma, você poderia ter certeza de que seus cartões seriam apreciados e preservados, e poderia reivindicar um crédito de imposto em sua declaração de imposto de valor de mercado dos cartões doados. Informações sobre doações para o Centro estão na web em http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/Info_for_Donors.htm Depois de assinar a escritura de doação, a Fort Lewis College Foundation enviará a você um reconhecimento por escrito da doação. Para uma discussão mais aprofundada desta possibilidade, por favor contate o Arquivista .

Nota: A coleção de Nina Heald Webber Southwest Colorado também inclui várias das primeiras fotografias da área. Uma delas é esta imagem do Durango Wheel Club na Baker's Bridge, perto de Trimble Hot Springs no Animas Valley ao norte de Durango, em 1895.

Coleção P 001: Coleção geral de fotografias
[Observação: muitos desses itens ainda não estão disponíveis em formato digital, mas estão disponíveis em seu formato fotográfico original]

Esta coleção está organizada em amplas categorias de assuntos, observadas abaixo. Essas categorias foram estabelecidas antes da década de 1980 por Robert W. Delaney, o primeiro diretor do Center of Southwest Studies. Naquela época, os conceitos modernos de proveniência e ordem original não eram amplamente praticados e, portanto, esta coleção foi estabelecida pela fusão de impressões fotográficas de qualquer fonte em um arranjo categorizado. Selecionamos para digitalização as fotocópias que mais se referem à área de Durango. O Centro escolheu suas fotos para este projeto em parte devido aos problemas de preservação que enfrentam. Muitas décadas atrás, as impressões fotográficas eram coladas em páginas de cartolina ácida usando cimento de borracha. O Centro está produzindo um negativo fotográfico master de cada imagem quando um pesquisador primeiro solicita uma cópia fotográfica da imagem.

Coleção P 008: coleção Ansel Hall

Esta coleção inclui ca. 5.000 fotocópias, tiradas entre 1920 e 1938. O Center of Southwest Studies forneceu acesso digital às páginas de fotos em nove álbuns que documentam as Expedições Rainbow Bridge-Monument Valley de Ansel Hall de 1933-34 (aproximadamente 2.000 fotografias em sépia em preto e branco). Estas fotos apresentam a visão inicial de um pioneiro Anglo sobre a vida indígena dos índios americanos na região dos Quatro Cantos. As fotos mostram os jovens brancos que participaram dessa expedição (financiada pela Ford Motor Company) e também mostram nativos americanos em ambientes pré-ocidentais.

Ansel Hall (1894-1962) provavelmente contribuiu mais do que qualquer outro indivíduo para a formação e o crescimento inicial do trabalho interpretativo do Serviço de Parques Nacionais. Ele deixou o Serviço de Parques em 1938 para operar as concessões do Parque Nacional Mesa Verde. O Centro escolheu essas páginas de álbuns de fotos para digitalização devido ao seu significado nacional e devido aos problemas de preservação que enfrentam. Muitas décadas atrás, as fotos da Rainbow Bridge eram coladas em páginas ácidas usando cimento de borracha. À medida que essas fotos caem, havia o perigo de perder as descrições de identificação que estavam escritas nessas páginas. O restante desta coleção foi reembalado de forma arquivística.

Visão geral dos álbuns de fotos da Expedição Rainbow Bridge-Monument Valley e pontos de entrada:

Vol. 1 fotos de Robert B. Branstead , começa com a página 7 (não digitalizamos as páginas anteriores, que ficaram grudadas como resultado de danos causados ​​pela água) até a página 98.

Vol. 2 fotos de Robert B. Branstead, continua do Vol. 1 com com a página 99 e vai até 168 (excluímos as páginas 169 e 170, que estavam danificadas pela água e ilegíveis)

Vol. 3 fotos de Robert B. Branstead as páginas não foram numeradas originalmente nós numeramos as páginas começando na página 1 e indo até a última página [82].

Vol. 4 fotos de Leica por Clifford Bond , começa com uma página de introdução e, em seguida, os números de página de 1 a 106.

Vol. 6 Fotos aéreas de Thorn L. Mayes , começa na página 491 e vai até a página 629. Thorn Mayes & quotheaded os esforços de mapeamento das expedições. Sua fotografia aérea foi uma inovação tão significativa quanto a fotografia de Robert Brewster Stanton do Grand Canyon ao fazer o levantamento de sua possível rota para uma linha férrea. & Quot (por e-mail 17/01/2002 de Alfred E. Holland, Jr., Departamento de História, California State University, Sacramento)

Vol. 7 fotos de Clifford Bond datado de 23/10/1934 as páginas não estavam numeradas originalmente nós numeramos as páginas, iniciando na página 1 e indo até a última página (82).

Vol. 8 fotos de Leica por Clifford Bo WL datado de 19/10/1934 as páginas não foram numeradas originalmente nós numeramos as páginas, iniciando na página [0] e indo até a última página (91).

Vol. 9 fotos de [Grace?] Hoover, 1934, páginas não numeradas, numeramos as páginas, começando com a página # 1 e indo até a última página

Vol. 12 fotos aéreas por Ansel Hall, 1934, páginas não numeradas as páginas são numeradas pelo Center of Southwest Studies começando com a página # 2 e indo até a última página.

Coleção P 026: Fotografias da Ferrovia Sul do Rio Grande

Essa ferrovia de bitola estreita ia de Durango a Hesperus, Mancos, Dolores, Rico, Telluride e Ridgway, onde se juntava à ferrovia Denver & amp Rio Grande. Produzimos imagens de acesso digital de 188 impressões fotográficas (ou seja, o conteúdo da primeira das duas caixas de documentos de impressão fotográfica nesta coleção P 026) - que são todas as fotos desta coleção que mostram cenas ao longo da rota de 163 milhas de o RGS. Estas fotocópias foram doadas ao Center of Southwest Studies por Alfred G. Chione, M.D. de Illinois (acesso # 1968: 02009). O próprio Dr. Chione tirou a maioria das fotos, por volta de 1949-1952.

Coleção P 042: Walker Art Studio (Montrose, Colorado) Fotonegativos históricos do sudoeste do Colorado

O Centro produziu imagens de acesso digital de 483 negativos de placa de vidro selecionados da coleção Walker Art Studio (Montrose, Colorado) (produzida por esse e outros estúdios fotográficos daquele local) que o Center of Southwest Studies comprou em 1999 e 2000. A verdadeiro tesouro de vistas do início do século 20, muitas delas identificadas, essas fotos ameaçadas de extinção oferecem vistas até então raramente vistas da região dos Quatro Cantos.

A coleção completa (composta pelos acessos 1999: 10015 e 2000: 05005) inclui aproximadamente 5.000 negativos de placa de vidro e nitrato de celulose, a maioria deles sem estampas correspondentes, a maioria tirada entre 1920 e 1938. A coleção foi comprada em massa pela Fort Lewis College (por meio de financiamento da Fort Lewis College Foundation) com um desconto da Main Street Photo em Montrose, Colorado, por meio da agência do professor de história / Southwest Studies do Fort Lewis College e historiador do Colorado Duane Smith, que foi ao estúdio e recebeu permissão para traga todas as fotos existentes para o Centro. O Centro escolheu as placas de vidro para seu projeto de digitalização em parte devido aos problemas de preservação que enfrentam como placas de vidro frágeis e devido ao alto volume de uso que podem receber. O Centro realojou de forma arquivística as placas de vidro e separou os negativos de nitrato de celulose, que agora são armazenados fora do local, aguardando a reformatação em um meio mais estável.

Coleção P 049: Fotografias de Alton H. Blackington Southwest

Essa coleção consiste em placas de vidro, transparências de filme de nitrato de celulose e algumas lâminas de lanterna. A maioria data de meados da década de 1930. A maioria das aproximadamente 430 imagens desta coleção foram digitalizadas para acesso online. Alguns (especialmente aqueles que mostram vistas anteriores à década de 1930) são fotografias de fotografias. Esta coleção é útil para qualquer pessoa que esteja pesquisando a história desses tópicos do sudoeste, professores e alunos que buscam materiais visuais para instrução em sala de aula e pessoas que buscam as frequentemente evasivas representações de cenas cotidianas da vida durante este período. O tamanho da maioria é 4x5 e # 8221 (alguns são ligeiramente menores). Os assuntos incluem Mesa Verde, Taos, Taos Pueblo, Acoma Pueblo, Cavernas Carlsbad, Penitentes e índios e cenas no sudoeste. As fotos parecem ter sido compiladas e rotuladas por Alton Hall Blackington, que evidentemente tirou algumas ou a maioria das imagens. Parece que o Sr. Blackington compilou essas fotos para uso em seu programa de palestras itinerante intitulado & quotTurquoise Truths & quot, que seu panfleto descreveu como & quotUma viagem de câmera de 10.000 milhas através de desfiladeiros e desertos de nosso glorioso sudoeste. Hopis e Navajos. Cavernas Carlsbad. Taos, Grand Canyon. 'Sky City of Acoma'. & Quot

Coleção P 051: Fotografias da coleção indígena de Tom O. e H. Lucille Kimball

Esta coleção consiste em 39 imagens fotográficas históricas de nativos americanos do sudoeste (incluindo 16 fotos dos Pennington Studios de Durango, Colorado, e 1 de Matthew Brady) e de Mesa Verde. A maioria dessas fotos foi doada ao Centro de Estudos do Sudoeste por meio de doações de Dustin Kimball em abril e maio de 2003, outras foram emprestadas ao Centro por ele para reprodução, incluindo digitalização para acesso online.


Fazendo sua própria pesquisa: Esta descrição de uma parte das coleções do Fort Lewis College Center of Southwest Studies é fornecida para informar as partes interessadas sobre a natureza e a profundidade das coleções do repositório. Não pode substituir uma visita ao repositório para aqueles com interesses substanciais de pesquisa nas coleções.

Esta coleção é localizado no Centro de Estudos do Sudoeste no campus do Fort Lewis College. Pesquisadores que desejam obter mais informações sobre o uso deste material na Delaney Southwest Research Library no Centro podem enviar um e-mail para o arquivista em [email protected] ou clique aqui para usar nosso formulário de solicitação de referência por e-mail (ou ligue para o arquivista em 970 / 247-7126). O Centro não tem orçamento para chamadas telefônicas de longa distância para responder a pedidos de referência, portanto, envie um e-mail se desejar receber uma resposta do Centro. Para solicitar reproduções / cópias, clique aqui para obter instruções.


Foto, impressão, desenho Enchendo locomotiva com água na estação ferroviária, Montrose, Colorado

O conteúdo dos Negativos em preto e branco da Library of Congress Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information é de domínio público e pode ser usado e reutilizado gratuitamente.

Linha de crédito: Biblioteca do Congresso, Divisão de Impressos e Fotografias, Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Negativos em preto e branco.

Para obter informações sobre como reproduzir, publicar e citar o material desta coleção, bem como o acesso aos itens originais, consulte: U.S. Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Fotografias em preto e branco - informações sobre direitos e restrições

Para obter orientação sobre como compilar citações completas, consulte Citing Primary Sources.

  • Consultoria de direitos: Sem restrições conhecidas. Para obter informações, consulte a US Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Fotografias em preto e branco https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/071_fsab.html
  • Número da Reprodução: LC-USF33-012886-M1 (negativo de nitrato de filme preto e branco) LC-DIG-fsa-8a29387 (arquivo digital do negativo original)
  • Numero de telefone: LC-USF33- 012886-M1 [P & ampP] LOT 649 (possível grupo de imagens associado)
  • Aviso de acesso: ---

Obtenção de cópias

Se uma imagem estiver sendo exibida, você mesmo pode fazer o download. (Algumas imagens são exibidas apenas como miniaturas fora da Biblioteca do Congresso devido a considerações de direitos, mas você tem acesso a imagens de tamanho maior no local.)

Como alternativa, você pode comprar cópias de vários tipos por meio dos Serviços de duplicação da Biblioteca do Congresso.

  1. Se uma imagem digital estiver sendo exibida: As qualidades da imagem digital dependem parcialmente se ela foi feita a partir do original ou de um intermediário, como um negativo de cópia ou transparência. Se o campo Número de reprodução acima incluir um número de reprodução que comece com LC-DIG. então, há uma imagem digital que foi feita diretamente do original e é de resolução suficiente para a maioria dos fins de publicação.
  2. Se houver informações listadas no campo Número da reprodução acima: Você pode usar o número de reprodução para comprar uma cópia dos Serviços de Duplicação. Será feito a partir da fonte listada entre parênteses após o número.

Se apenas fontes em preto-e-branco (& quotb & w & quot) estiverem listadas e você deseja uma cópia mostrando cores ou matizes (assumindo que o original tenha), você geralmente pode comprar uma cópia de qualidade do original em cores citando o número de telefone listado acima e incluindo o registro do catálogo (& quotSobre este item & quot) com sua solicitação.

Listas de preços, informações de contato e formulários de pedidos estão disponíveis no site dos Serviços de Duplicação.

Acesso aos Originais

Use as etapas a seguir para determinar se você precisa preencher um recibo de chamada na Sala de Leitura de Impressos e Fotografias para ver o (s) item (ns) original (is). Em alguns casos, um substituto (imagem substituta) está disponível, geralmente na forma de uma imagem digital, cópia impressa ou microfilme.

O item está digitalizado? (Uma imagem em miniatura (pequena) ficará visível à esquerda.)

  • Sim, o item está digitalizado. Por favor, use a imagem digital em vez de solicitar o original. Todas as imagens podem ser visualizadas em tamanho grande quando você estiver em qualquer sala de leitura da Biblioteca do Congresso. Em alguns casos, apenas imagens em miniatura (pequenas) estão disponíveis quando você está fora da Biblioteca do Congresso porque o item tem direitos restritos ou não foi avaliado quanto a restrições de direitos.
    Como medida de preservação, geralmente não servimos um item original quando uma imagem digital está disponível. Se você tiver um motivo convincente para ver o original, consulte um bibliotecário de referência. (Às vezes, o original é simplesmente muito frágil para servir. Por exemplo, negativos fotográficos de vidro e filme estão particularmente sujeitos a danos. Eles também são mais fáceis de ver online onde são apresentados como imagens positivas.)
  • Não, o item não está digitalizado. Vá para # 2.

Os campos Aviso de acesso ou Número de telefone acima indicam que existe um substituto não digital, como microfilme ou cópias impressas?

  • Sim, existe outro substituto. A equipe de referência pode encaminhá-lo para este substituto.
  • Não, outro substituto não existe. Vá para # 3.

Para entrar em contato com a equipe de Referência na Sala de Leitura de Impressos e Fotografias, use nosso serviço Ask A Librarian ou ligue para a sala de leitura entre 8:30 e 5:00 em 202-707-6394 e pressione 3.


Foto, impressão, desenho Estação ferroviária em Cimarron, Colorado

O conteúdo da Biblioteca do Congresso Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives são de domínio público e podem ser usados ​​e reutilizados gratuitamente.

Linha de crédito: Biblioteca do Congresso, Divisão de Impressos e Fotografias, Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Negativos em preto e branco.

Para obter informações sobre como reproduzir, publicar e citar o material desta coleção, bem como o acesso aos itens originais, consulte: US Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Fotografias em preto e branco - informações sobre direitos e restrições

Para obter orientação sobre como compilar citações completas, consulte Citing Primary Sources.

  • Consultoria de direitos: Sem restrições conhecidas. Para obter informações, consulte a US Farm Security Administration / Office of War Information Fotografias em preto e branco https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/071_fsab.html
  • Número da Reprodução: LC-USF34-037556-D (negativo filme b & ampw)
  • Numero de telefone: LC-USF34- 037556-D [P & ampP] LOTE 464 (impressão fotográfica correspondente)
  • Aviso de acesso: ---

Obtenção de cópias

Se uma imagem estiver sendo exibida, você mesmo pode fazer o download. (Algumas imagens são exibidas apenas como miniaturas fora da Biblioteca do Congresso devido a considerações de direitos, mas você tem acesso a imagens de tamanho maior no local.)

Como alternativa, você pode comprar cópias de vários tipos por meio dos Serviços de duplicação da Biblioteca do Congresso.

  1. Se uma imagem digital estiver sendo exibida: As qualidades da imagem digital dependem parcialmente se ela foi feita a partir do original ou de um intermediário, como um negativo de cópia ou transparência. Se o campo Número de reprodução acima incluir um número de reprodução que comece com LC-DIG. então, há uma imagem digital que foi feita diretamente do original e é de resolução suficiente para a maioria dos fins de publicação.
  2. Se houver informações listadas no campo Número da reprodução acima: Você pode usar o número de reprodução para comprar uma cópia dos Serviços de Duplicação. Será feito a partir da fonte listada entre parênteses após o número.

Se apenas fontes em preto-e-branco (& quotb & w & quot) estiverem listadas e você deseja uma cópia mostrando cores ou matizes (assumindo que o original tenha), você geralmente pode comprar uma cópia de qualidade do original em cores citando o número de telefone listado acima e incluindo o registro do catálogo (& quotSobre este item & quot) com sua solicitação.

Listas de preços, informações de contato e formulários de pedidos estão disponíveis no site dos Serviços de Duplicação.

Acesso aos Originais

Use as etapas a seguir para determinar se você precisa preencher um recibo de chamada na Sala de Leitura de Impressos e Fotografias para ver o (s) item (ns) original (is). Em alguns casos, um substituto (imagem substituta) está disponível, geralmente na forma de uma imagem digital, cópia impressa ou microfilme.

O item está digitalizado? (Uma imagem em miniatura (pequena) ficará visível à esquerda.)

  • Sim, o item está digitalizado. Por favor, use a imagem digital em vez de solicitar o original. Todas as imagens podem ser visualizadas em tamanho grande quando você estiver em qualquer sala de leitura da Biblioteca do Congresso. Em alguns casos, apenas imagens em miniatura (pequenas) estão disponíveis quando você está fora da Biblioteca do Congresso porque o item tem direitos restritos ou não foi avaliado quanto a restrições de direitos.
    Como medida de preservação, geralmente não servimos um item original quando uma imagem digital está disponível. Se você tiver um motivo convincente para ver o original, consulte um bibliotecário de referência. (Às vezes, o original é simplesmente muito frágil para servir. Por exemplo, negativos fotográficos de vidro e filme estão particularmente sujeitos a danos. Eles também são mais fáceis de ver online quando são apresentados como imagens positivas.)
  • Não, o item não está digitalizado. Vá para # 2.

Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?

  • Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
  • No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.

To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.


História

The Denver & Rio Grande Railway, brainchild of Civil War veteran General William Jackson Palmer, was incorporated by Palmer and his associates on Oct. 12, 1870. Palmer intended to provide a north-south link between the major transcontinental railroads that passed north and south of Colorado. The first trip on the line occurred Oct. 26, 1871, and took passengers (primarily local newspapermen) from Denver to Colorado Springs. While the original plan was to build south to El Paso, Texas, circumstances soon turned the line westward. The Denver & Rio Grande never reached farther south than northern New Mexico.

As the D&RG Railway expanded westward, it ran into conflicts with other railroads that also wanted to build in the lucrative mining regions of the Rocky Mountains. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was particularly aggressive in this area. A quarrel over the right-of-way through the Royal Gorge escalated into a “war” in 1878 and was not settled by the courts (in favor of the D&RG) until 1880.

In the summer of 1881, in order to facilitate the D&RG’s westward push, Palmer incorporated a new railway in Salt Lake City – the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway. The two lines met near Green River, Utah in 1883. Around the same time, the D&RG Railway leased the tracks of the D&RGW Railway for thirty years. The lease, in conjunction with Palmer’s constant program of expansion (he feared other lines moving into D&RG territory), put the D&RG in a difficult financial situation. By the summer of 1883 the Board of Directors wanted Palmer out, and they asked for his resignation. He consented, but remained not only as president of the D&RGW Railway, but as a Director of the D&RG. He resigned his position as Director in June 1884 in the midst of a dispute between the two lines over the terms of the D&RG’s lease of the D&RGW tracks.

By July 1884, the D&RG’s financial condition was so poor it went into receivership. The court appointed William S. Jackson as receiver. Not long after Jackson took control of the D&RG, the D&RGW also found itself in receivership, with W.H. Bancroft as its receiver. Jackson’s management of the Denver company could not forestall the D&RG’s sale at foreclosure in 1886. British and American stockholders purchased the troubled line, incorporated it as the D&RG Railroad, and named Jackson as president. The courts released the D&RGW from its receivership in August of 1886, and Palmer resumed control of his railroad.

David H. Moffat, an important figure in the development of Colorado railroading, succeeded Jackson as D&RG president in 1887. He remained in that position until 1891, when he resigned in anger over criticism of his management of the line. During his term of office, the D&RG began to convert its main line tracks from narrow gauge to standard gauge. The D&RG also joined with the Colorado Midland to incorporate the Rio Grande Junction Railway for the purpose of building a line between Rifle and Grand Junction. After Moffat resigned, the Board appointed Edward T. Jeffery to head the company. He was immediately under pressure to make the D&RG profitable, and enable it to meet the interest payments on its bonds. Jeffery met the challenge, and by 1893 the road was in excellent financial condition. Thanks to his conservative policies the D&RG weathered the financial panic of 1893 relatively well.

In 1901 the D&RG purchased a controlling interest in the Rio Grande Western Railway (formerly the D&RGW, it reincorporated in 1889). In that same year General Palmer retired from the RGW, and George Gould (son of Jay) became Chairman of the Board of the D&RG. Competition from the Union Pacific in Utah (the UP tried to deny the D&RG any traffic) forced Gould to make plans to expand his line westward from Ogden, Utah.

To this end Gould and his associates incorporated the Western Pacific Railway in California in 1903, with E.T. Jeffery as its president. The birth of the WP marked the beginning of very difficult times for the D&RG. Three contracts between the D&RG/RGW and the WP obligated the D&RG system to bear the cost of constructing the WP (in the form of bonds), guarantee the semi-annual interest on 30-year 5% gold bonds, and to honor a traffic agreement. In addition, the RGW was to pay any construction cost overruns.

The burden placed upon the D&RG by the contracts with the WP was almost unbearable. By 1913 the Boards of Directors of the D&RG, WP and Missouri Pacific (many of the members served on more than one of the boards) began to discuss the D&RG’s plight. The discussions and the continuing financial difficulties of the D&RG led to court battles with the Equitable Trust Co. (which brought suit against the D&RG for non-payment of debts) and a reorganization plan for the WP. In July 1916 the WP Railway was sold to stockholders and reorganized as the Western Pacific Railroad Company.

The D&RG lost the case with the Equitable Trust Co. in August of 1917. The court determined the railroad owed Equitable $38 million. The D&RG did not have that much money on hand, but did have some assets in the form of cash, stocks, and bonds. The Equitable Co. sued in New York and Chicago courts to obtain some payment on the $38 million owed to it, and in 1918 was awarded over $6.5 million of the D&RG’s assets. Another $4 million was handed to the Equitable Co. when the shares of the Utah Fuel Co., a D&RG subsidiary, were sold at a public auction and the proceeds applied toward the judgment against the D&RG.

This strangulation of the railroad left it with only one option – yet another receivership. To forestall the Equitable Co. from asking for a receivership on terms favorable to it, the D&RG turned to a minor creditor, the Elliot Frog & Switch Co., and asked it to initiate receivership proceedings. Equitable’s lawyers tried to stop this in court, but were denied.

In January 1918 the court appointed Edward L. Brown and Alexander R. Baldwin (a vice-president of the WP) as co-receivers. World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, complicated the receivership and Equitable’s continuing efforts to collect on the judgment awarded to it. All railroads in the country were under the control of the U.S. Railroad Administration, headed by Director General William G. McAdoo, from 1917 to 1920. McAdoo temporarily blocked the Equitable’s efforts, but in May of 1918 Judge Sanborn ruled that the D&RG must pay $3.6 million of its debts. The money came from the sale securities, cash in the bank, and $1.5 million contributed by the government for its use of the railroad. When the Railroad Administration ended its control of the country’s railroads in the spring of 1920, the D&RG was still in receivership.

The receivership did not improve the financial condition of the D&RG, and by the fall of 1920 the company’s creditors once again forced it onto the auction block. On Nov. 20, 1920 the D&RG was sold for $5 million, and on Nov. 30 the new owners incorporated the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. Angry stockholders of the old company, who received nothing from the new D&RGW, held up the court’s confirmation of the sale for several months, but on Mar. 28, 1921 the court confirmed the sale. Serious financial problems, some caused by the devastating Pueblo flood in June of 1921, continued to plague the D&RGW, and by the summer of 1922, the Banker’s Trust Co. of New York and the New York Trust Co. instituted new foreclosure proceedings, based on the D&RGW’s failure to meet the interest payments on its bonds.

Federal judges Robert E. Lewis and J. Foster Symes named Joseph H. Young, president of the D&RGW, as receiver in July 1922 over the protests of the New York and Banker’s Trust companies, In addition, Judge Lewis further frustrated the bondholders by ordering Young to improve the condition of the D&RGW:

& quotIt is common knowledge that the road is badly out of repair. When the case came into this court before, at the time of the forming of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad out of the old Denver company, the railroad conditions were promising. The Western Pacific company took the road over, but they have done little with it. The present owners have not seen fit to keep it in condition, and when it comes into this court we shall see that it is put in condition and we shall see that done before it is turned back to the owners. Furthermore, it will be the policy of this court that no interest shall be paid on the bonds of the road until it is completely rehabilitated and the public thus safeguarded." ( Rocky Mountain News, July 22, 1922).

As ordered by the Judge, receiver Young spent millions on upgrading the D&RGW, particularly the rails and rolling stock.

Even with the court-ordered improvements proceeding, the future of the D&RGW looked uncertain. In 1923 – 1924, the Missouri Pacific and the Western Pacific tried to absorb the smaller line, but these efforts drew protests from those bondholders who feared they would be wiped out as had the stockholders of the D&RG in 1920. In Dec.1923, the Interstate Commerce Commission approved a reorganization plan for the D&RGW, and in Oct. 1924 the D&RGW was sold to the reorganization managers – Kuhn, Loeb & Co. and Equitable Trust Co. The new D&RGW president was J.S. Pyeatt.

Over the next ten years the two major events for the D&RGW were the construction of the Moffat Tunnel in 1927 and the completion of the Dotsero Cut-off in 1934. The Moffat Tunnel, running under James Peak in northwestern Colorado, was named for the man whose dream it was – David H. Moffat. Moffat spent many years and a considerable portion of his personal fortune on the tunnel dream, but to no avail. Over a decade of failed efforts by Colorado business and political leaders to get construction financed and started followed Moffat’s death in 1911. Construction actually began in 1923 and was completed in 1927. Like the Moffat Tunnel, the completion of the Dotsero Cut-off in 1934 came only after years of legal battles and financial problems. Despite the opening of the cut-off the D&RGW’s financial woes worsened, due in no small part to the Depression. Thus in 1935 the D&RGW was once again in court, petitioning for reorganization under the Federal Bankruptcy Act. The U.S. District Court appointed Wilson McCarthy and Henry Swan as co-trustees. The two men, with the approval of Judge Symes, formulated a multi-million dollar improvement plan. In 1937 alone the two men spent $18 million on the company. By the end of 1939 the railroad’s fortunes had turned around to a remarkable degree. The D&RGW’s revenues continued to climb in the 1940s, particularly after the U.S. entered World War II in Dec. 1941.

In April 1947 the trusteeship of Swan and McCarthy ended and the D&RGW returned to private ownership under an ICC-approved reorganization plan. The plan was opposed, unsuccessfully, by the Missouri Pacific and the Western Pacific all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The reorganization committee, headed by John Evans, elected a new Board of Directors with Evans as its chairman. The Board selected Wilson McCarthy as the president of the D&RGW.

In the post-war years passenger traffic declined on the line but freight traffic grew, thanks in part to McCarthy’s policy of encouraging industrial and agricultural development in Rio Grande territory. McCarthy provided strong leadership of the D&RGW until his death in 1956. Gale B. “Gus” Aydelott succeeded him in the presidency, and continued many of McCarthy’s forward-looking policies, especially that of improving the line. While Aydelott’s improvement program included attempts to reduce or eliminate passenger service on unprofitable runs, it also included technical advances in communications, locomotives and other areas. ( This historical outline of the D&RGW was chiefly drawn from Robert G. Athearn’s Rebel of the Rockies: The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad. Yale University Press, 1962).

In 1969 the D&RGW formed Rio Grande Industries, Inc., a holding company designed to diversify and expand the company into other fields. In 1970 the various activities of RGI included real estate development, industrial contracting and insurance, but the railroad continued to produce the majority of RGI’s annual income, most of it from freight revenues. The 1960s and 1970s saw a steady downward trend in passenger traffic on all railroads. By 1970 the D&RGW had virtually abandoned passenger traffic, with the exception of a thrice-weekly run from Denver to Salt Lake on the Rio Grande Zephyr, formerly the California Zephyr. Competition from the airlines and the rapid growth in the number of private cars resulted in many passenger trains operating at a loss. The D&RGW retired the Rio Grande Zephyr in April 1983, and Amtrak took over the running of passenger trains over the Rio Grande route. (Denver Post Empire Magazine, Oct 25, 1970, p. 13 Green Light, summer 1983, p. 12).

By the time W. J. “Bill” Holtman succeeded Aydelott as President of the D&RGW in 1977 (and as CEO in 1978) Aydelott had built up the railroad’s annual freight revenue to over $305 million, and won the admiration and respect of railroad men nationwide for the “tight ship” he ran. Aydelott retired as chairman of the railroad in 1983, and died in 1991. (Railway Age, Sept. 11, 1978, pp. 26-32 Denver Post, Feb. 16, 1991.)

Between 1984 and 1987 Denver businessman Philip F. Anschutz purchased enough of the D&RGW stock to become a majority owner, and the formerly publicly-held company went private. In 1988 Anschutz purchased nearly a third of the stock of the Southern Pacific railroad and merged the two lines to form the Southern Pacific Rail Corp. In 1995 Anschutz and Union Pacific officials agreed to a deal that would merge the two lines and restore the UP to its former status as North America’s largest rail company. Despite a great deal of opposition from various interest groups, including farmers and ranchers who feared decreases in service and increases in freight rates, the deal was approved by the Surface Transportation Board on July 3, 1996. (Denver Post, Aug. 8, 1995, p. 1D conversation with Harry Philips, retired Southern Pacific employee).

Autor: Colleen P. Bradley, Project Archivist. July 1996. © Colorado Historical Society


Rio Grande Railroad Timetables (1952)

Interestingly, for the time being management elected not to continue towards Utah from this point but, instead, opted for a more southerly route.  The decision was driven primarily by additional coal traffic from mines located near Crested Butte.  At Salida, the rail-head was extended westward to Gunninson (1881) before it turned north from Montrose.

Rio Grande 4-8-4 #1804 with the eastbound "Royal Gorge" arriving in Salida, Colorado in 1950. Robert Le Massena photo.

This small town, which later became a junction for the Ouray Branch (completed in 1887 to serve silver mines), sat at about the midway point to Grand Junction (reached on November 22, 1882).ਊ month later, on December 19th, the railroad arrived at the state line but could build no further until corporate charters were received to enter Utah.

The "Ski Train"

One of the most unique services a private railroad ever offered was Rio Grande's "Ski Train."  It was launched in 1940 by subsidiary Denver & Salt Lake Railway, originally the Eskimo Ski Club's idea to whisk skiers from Denver to the slopes of Winter Park, a popular resort based in Grand County. 

It was canceled in 1941 due to World War II but reinstated under the D&RGW in 1947.  As its popularity grew, the railroad acquired eight heavyweight coaches (built in 1915) from Northern Pacific in 1960.  As time passed, the railroad tried numerous times to cancel the train due to rising costs. 

However, it continued to run and in 1984, new ownership under Philip Anschutz saw the purchase of updated equipment (second-hand cars from VIA Rail, originally built in 1968 by Hawker Siddeley).  The "Ski Train" also occasionally ran with much fancier stainless-steel, Budd-built cars from the popular California Zephyr (and later Rio Grande Zephyr). 

In 1988, Ansco Investment Company, acquired rights to the train which continued to see strong patronage during the next two decades.  Then, the service was suddenly canceled on March 29, 2009. 

De acordo com Trains Magazine's "Newswire," owner Philip Anschutz noted the rising insurance costs, operational issues in sharing the line with Union Pacific, and a weak economy led to the decision.  

In March of 2015, Amtrak and UP ran a one-day Winter Park Express ski train to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Winter Park. It quickly sold out and an additional service was hosted from from January through March 2017.  This was also successful and the carrier has announced an expanded service will offered through 2018.  

An A-B set of Rio Grande FT's act as helpers on a mixed freight near Leyden, Colorado during the 1950's. Photographer unknown.

To aid in this effort, an earlier charter known as the Sevier Valley Railway was acquired along with three other small short lines the Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd (BC&CF), Wasatch & Jordan Valley (W&JV), and Utah & Pleasant Valley (U&PV).  All were originally built to serve either coal, silver, or copper mines situated south and east of Salt Lake City. 

The U&PV proved most important it had opened 55 miles between Springville and Scofield by November of 1879, which was extended further north to Provo in October of 1880.  When the D&RGW finished a disconnected segment between Provo and Salt Lake City it used part of the U&PV over Soldier Summit as part of its main line into Colorado.

Its first task was to improve the original U&PV alignment over the summit before completing the railroad to the state line on December 19, 1882.  Just a few months later, on May 12, 1883, a short branch was finished beyond Salt Lake City to Ogden which established a transcontinental connection with the Central Pacific/Southern Pacific.

After the "California Zephyr" was canceled the Rio Grande continued to operate the train as the "Rio Grande Zephyr," over its lines. It is seen here climbing Soldier Summit in Utah during July of 1974. Drew Jacksich photo.

It seems the Rio Grande was consistently caught up in one bureaucratic mess after another, a situation that persisted well into the 20th century.  Fighting with the Santa Fe had only been over for a few years when strained finances led to Palmer resigning the D&RG's presidency on August 9, 1883. 

Next, the work of converting the entire network to standard-gauge was carried out the main lineਏrom Ogden to Grand Junction was completed on June 11, 1890 with the branches finished the following year. 

One final, noteworthy expansion in Utah occurred about a decade later when the Manti Branch was continued down the Sevier River to Marysvale in 1900.

An A-B-B-A set of Rio Grande FT's lead a westbound freight extra near Leyden Junction, Colorado, while 2-8-8-2 #3617 (L-132) can be seen assisting in the distance, on August 16, 1942. Kodacolor negative by Otto Perry.

During this time the Denver & Rio Grande had also been expanding.  Under the leadership of David Moffat, it first built from Red Cliff to Glenwood Springs in an effort to ward off a threat from the standard-gauge Colorado Midland Railway (CM). 

The line was completed on October 6, 1887 and a month later, reached to the silver camp of Aspen (November 1st).  In 1889 rails were pushed further west to Rifle as officials eyed Grand Junction and the opening of a secondary main line. 

At this point the CM and D&RG elected to work together on the project, finishing the connector on November 14, 1890.  While Palmer was converting his the D&RGW, his cross-border competitors were doing the name.

The D&RG's narrow-gauge system peaked in 1887 at 1,673 miles.  So extensive was its 3-foot network that in 1890 it had only 64 miles of standard-gauge track in operation.

This figure rapidly increased over the following decade as major systems wanted to utilize the D&RG as a through route between Denver and Salt Lake City. 

Once officials recognized (particularly after the Sherman Silver Purchase Act was repealed by President Grover Cleveland in 1893) their railroad's potential in this regard, efforts at conversion were hastened theꃞnver-Grand Junction section was completed on November 14, 1890 and by 1900 more than 1,000 miles were standard-gauged. 

This number continued to increase in the succeeding years.  Surprisingly, there remained a few holdouts until well after World War II, most notably within the San Juan district west of Antonito which remained unchanged until service ceased in 1967. 

Afterwards, much of this trackage was sold to the states of Colorado and New Mexico for a tourist attraction.  Today they are operated as the Durango & Silverton Narrow-Gauge and Cumbres & Toltec Scenic.

Rio Grande 2-8-2 #483 (K-36) stops for a drink at the water tower near Bondad, New Mexico along the Farmington Branch during June of 1967. Drew Jacksich photo.

The Modern Denver & Rio Grande Western

In 1896, Gould's empire was handed over to his son, George, who continued his father's transcontinental ambitions.  At this time he controlled the Missouri Pacific, Wabash, Western Maryland, Wheeling & Lake Erie, and the Rio Grande. George is credited with reuniting the D&RG and Rio Grande Western under common management by acquiring stock control of the latter in February of 1901.

- To simply his corporate structure, Gould merged the Rio Grand Western into the D&RG in August of 1908. -

However, his decision to use the two in funding the Western Pacific's construction saddled both with heavy debt for decades to come.  The company generally struggled under Gould's control it not only dealt with crushing financial burdens but was also left to its own affairs resulting in deferred maintenance and relatively poor management. 

When the financial Panic of 1907 struck, Gould's financing collapsed, and along with it his transcontinental dreams.  One by one his properties slipped into bankruptcy, including the Missouri Pacific in 1915 which held some 30% of Rio Grande's stock.

The Rio Grande Southern Railroad

Of Colorado's numerous railroads built to serve the legendary San Juan mining district, one of the more noteworthy was the Rio Grande Southern (RGS). 

This system was incorporated on November 5, 1889 and promoted by Otto Mears.  By that time he had already been involved with various ventures related to the mining industry. 

Its main line was a zigzag affair from the north at Ridgway it wound its way through Placerville, headed south, then southwest to Dolores, and turned roughly due east back into Durango. 

While it was a fascinating operation (making it a popular subject to model), especially its crossing of 10,250-foot Lizard Head Pass, the steep grades and sharp curves made operations extremely difficult.   It was a profitable carrier until the Sherman Silver Purchase Act was repealed on June 30, 1893. 

This caused tonnage to drop by more than half and it entered receivership on August 2, 1893.  D&RG's president, Edward Jeffrey, was made receiver which effectively gave Rio Grande control. 

Rio Grande Southern exited receivership on December 1, 1895 and despite the traffic losses did relatively well until the markets crashed in October of 1929. 

This led to another bankruptcy on December 11th and an end to Rio Grande's involvement.  It failed to escape receivership for more than 20 years as the courts did their best to keep the company solvent.

It survived on government loans and remaining zinc mining until operations ceased entirely on December 17, 1951.  The following August and September its network was dismantled.

Rio Grande 4-6-6-4 #3710 (L-105) departs Denver for Pueblo, Colorado during 1952. Robert Le Massena photo.

Then, the United States Railroad Administration took over the industry, made effective at noon on December 28, 1917.  The directive was ordered by President Woodrow Wilson in response to fears of national gridlock. & # xa0

Unfortunately, the government did no better at maintaining fluid operations than the private sector, resulting in rundown equipment and inadequately maintained equipment.  This issue, coupled with its crushing debt and complicated corporate structure, led to the D&RG's receivership on January 25, 1918. 

The Transportation Act made effective February 28, 1920 returned the industry to private ownership.  The Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad was subsequently organized to acquire the D&RG's assets, taking formal control on August 1, 1921.  Financial struggles continued and a second bankruptcy occurred on July 21, 1922. 

It was again reorganized on October 29, 1924 but this time carried the same name.  As the company's situation remained uncertain it built one of the country's great engineering feats, thanks largely to funding provided through the city of Denver and federal Reconstruction Finance Corporation loans.

A handsome Rio Grande PA-1 along with F7B #5563 and F3A #5544 layover at Grand Junction, Colorado between runs ahead of the "Royal Gorge" on December 4, 1957. Jackson Thode photo.

According to Mike Schafer's took, "Classic American Railroads," part of the D&SL crossed 11,680-foot Rollins Pass.  It was situated somewhat northwest of Denver and was only surmounted via a series of tortuous switchbacks, carrying grades as high as 4%. 

So difficult was this stretch that 23 miles of railroad were required to connect two points just 8 miles apart.   To improve operations the city agreed in 1922 to help fund a new tunnel under James Peak.  Following six years of work the $18 million project was completed in 1928 and named for D&SL's founder. 

Moffat Tunnel was 6.1 miles in length and reduced the trip from hours to a mere 15 minutes.  After the Rio Grande gained control it completed a short connector in 1934 known as the Dotsero Cutoff which ran from D&SL at Bond to D&RGW's Tennessee Pass main line at Dotsero.   

This essentially completed Rio Grande's modern network which contained 2,569 route miles (including standard, narrow, and third-rail gauge).  Alas, with the ongoing depression and lingering monetary troubles another bankruptcy occurred on November 1, 1935.

Diesel Locomotive Roster

American Locomotive Company

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
S2101-1199/1941-5/194419
RS35200-52046/19515
PA1600A-601A, 600C-601C1/1947-4/19474
PB1600B-601B1/1947-2/19472

Baldwin Locomotive Works

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
VO-66066-745/31/1941-8/30/19419

Electro-Motive Corporation/Electro-Motive Division

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
SW1200130-139196510
FTA540A-551A, 540D-551D1/1942-10/194424
FTB540B-551B, 540C-551C1/1942-10/194424
F3A552A-554A, 552D-554D11/19466
F3B552B-554B, 552C-554C11/19466
F7A555A-564A, 555D-564D2/1949-7/194920
F7B555B-564B, 555C-564C2/1949-7/194920
F7A555A-564A, 555D-564D2/1949-7/194920
F7A5651, 5654, 5661, 5664, 5671, 5674, 5681, 5684, 5691, 5694, 5701, 5704, 5711, 5714, 5721, 5724, 5731, 5734, 5741, 5744, 5751, 5754, 5761, 57646/1950-7/195224
F7B5652-5653, 5662-5663, 5672-5673, 5682-5683, 5692-5693, 5702-5703, 5712-5713, 5722-5723, 5732-5733, 5742-5743, 5752-5753, 57626/1950-7/195223
GP303001-30284/1962-2/196328
GP353029-30505/1964-1/196522
GP403051-3093, 3131-31531/1966-4/198566
GP40-23094-31304/1972-3/198337
GP603154-31565/19903
GP75101-511310/1950-6/195213
SD75300-53045/19535
SD95305-53147/195710
SD455315-53401/1967-3/196826
SD40T-25341-541310/1974-3/198073
SD505501-55178/1984-9/198417
F9B5762-5263, 5772-57739/19554
F9A5771, 57749/19552
GP95901-5904, 5911-5914, 5921-5924, 5931-5934, 5941-5944, 5951-59544/1955-6/195624
NW270001/19411

Davenport Locomotive Works

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
30-Ton (Narrow-Gauge)5019631

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
H-10-44120-1234/19484
H-15-44150-1521/1948-2/19483

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
44-Ton38-438/1941-9/19426

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantidade
ML-4000 (Cab Unit)4001-40036/19613

Rio Grande F9A #5771 leads the eastbound "Rio Grande Zephyr" toward Soldier Summit south of Spanish Fork, Utah in August, 1973. Drew Jacksich photo.

Hoje

In 1988 the Broomfield Historical Society changed its name to the Broomfield Depot Museum. In 2011 the group sold its collection to the City and County of Broomfield. Broomfield now runs the Broomfield Depot Museum, while the former historical society is now known as Broomfield Depot Museum Friends.

In 2014 the museum was closed for seven months while the depot’s foundation and exterior were repaired with the help of nearly $300,000 from the City and County of Broomfield and the State Historical Fund. At the same time, the basement was remodeled to serve as office space and archival storage. When the museum reopened in early 2015, it featured a new focus on the depot’s history. The ticket office, waiting room, and baggage area now house artifacts from the depot’s interurban era in the 1910s, while the station agent’s living quarters display artifacts and furniture that represent the depot’s appearance in the 1930s. The final phase of the depot’s exterior rehabilitation was completed in 2016, when the building received a new wood-shingle roof.

The depot is a Broomfield Landmark and was listed on the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties in 2016. The museum offers free admission and is open to the public on Saturdays and for group tours during the week.


Hanging Bridge

An interesting part of the Santa Fe construction through the gorge is the hanging bridge at a point where the gorge narrows to 30 feet. Here the railroad had to be suspended over the river along the north side of the gorge as shear rock walls go right down into the river on both sides.

C. Shallor Smith, a Kansas engineer, designed a 175-ft plate girder suspended on one side by “A” frame girders spanning the river and anchored to the rock walls. The bridge cost $11,759 in 1879, a princely sum in those days. Although it has been strengthened over the years, this unique structure has served on a main rail line for over 118 years.


Montrose Colorado Railroad Station - History

Você veio ao lugar certo. Click the photos to learn more about favorite activities in the area!

This beautiful Western Colorado community sits at an elevation of 5,794 feet and is nestled within easy reach of a remarkably vast selection of vacation experiences. Thus the slogan &ldquoStay here. Play everywhere.&rdquo

With the plummeting depths of the Black Canyon National Park just to the east, the towering and majestic San Juan Mountains to the south, the expansive Uncompahgre Plateau to the west, and lake-bejeweled Grand Mesa to the north, and an expansive water sports park right in the middle of town, Montrose is literally surrounded by an endless variety of prospects for exploration and adventure.

Shake off the road at the Montrose Rec Center, the newest and largest recreational center on the Western Slope. Featuring a 5,000 sq ft, fully equipped weight room and fitness center, indoor walk/jog track, cool-water lap pool with a slackline and drop slide, warm water leisure pool with a lazy river, playground, and zero-depth entry beach, and two-story slide, and so much more.

Enjoy your visit to include as much variety as you wish. Begin the day with a scenic drive or an exhilarating wilderness trek, throw in some cultural sites or a round of golf, and finish the day at one of our local restaurants or brewpubs (see special offers included in your bag). Families can keep downtime at bay by mixing in a little something for everyone &ndash shopping, fishing, biking, photography, camping, swimming, motor-sports &ndash you get the idea!


Assista o vídeo: Montrose, CO - The Wild West Comes to Life (Janeiro 2022).