Podcasts de história

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - História

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - História


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ocmulgee
(YTB-532: dp. 325 (f.); 1. 100 '; b. 25'; dr. 11'6 "; s. 12 k .; cpl. 8; GL Hisada.)

Ocmulgee (YTB-532) foi estabelecido pela Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.J., 1 de novembro de 1944 aun em 30 de dezembro de 1944; e colocado em serviço em 2 de junho de 1945.

Ocmulgee serviu no 3º Distrito Naval até ser transferida para Green Cove Sprin ~ s, Flórida, e colocada fora de serviço, na reserva, em março de 1946. Ela permaneceu atracada em Green Cove Sprinp até ser reativada e designada para o 6º Distrito Naval em maio de 1947 . Reestruturado YTM-532 em fevereiro de 1962, ela permaneceu em serviço naquele distrito em 1969.


Conseguindo um Parque Nacional na Geórgia Central

O rio Ocmulgee atravessa o coração da Geórgia. O Serviço Nacional de Parques está procurando maneiras de preservar e proteger toda a história e a vida que possui.


História

Os caçadores da Idade do Gelo chegam ao sudeste, deixando uma de suas pontas de lança distintas & quotClovis & quot no planalto Macon (na década de 1930, este se tornou o primeiro artefato encontrado in situ no sul dos EUA).

8.000-9.000 AC Período de transição

As pessoas se adaptam ao clima cada vez mais quente à medida que as geleiras derretem e muitos mamíferos da Idade do Gelo se extinguem.

1.000-8.000 a.C. Período Arcaico

Adaptação eficiente de caça / coleta a um clima muito parecido com o uso atual do atlatl (arremessador de lança), ferramentas de marcenaria, etc. O cervo de cauda branca torna-se um dos principais montes de conchas extensos ao longo da costa e alguns rios do interior.

2.500 a.C. Primeira cerâmica neste país aparece ao longo da costa da Geórgia / Carolina do Sul e logo se filtra no que hoje é o Médio Geórgia, é temperado ou reforçado com fibras vegetais que queimam durante o cozimento, dando uma aparência de buraco de minhoca à superfície do navio.

1.000 AC-900 DC Período da Floresta

Cerâmica temperada com areia e cascalho, às vezes decorada com desenhos elaborados entalhados, pontilhados ou estampados em sua superfície antes do cultivo de girassóis, cabaças e várias outras plantas, construção de vilas semipermanentes efígies de pedra e túmulos de terra e conexões de plataformas para o Culturas Adena / Hopewell mais ao norte e para a Ilha Weeden na Flórida e no sul da Geórgia.

A.D. 900-1150 Período Mississippian Inferior

Uma nova forma de vida, que se acredita ter se originado na área do rio Mississippi, aparece no planalto de Macon. Essas pessoas, cuja cerâmica é diferente daquela feita pelas culturas da floresta na área, constroem um grande centro cerimonial com enormes templos de terra / cemitérios / montes domiciliares e depósitos de terra, que servem como câmaras formais do conselho. Sua economia é sustentada pela agricultura, com milho, feijão, abóbora e outras safras plantadas na rica planície de inundação do rio. Os povos indígenas da Floresta nas áreas circundantes interagem com essas pessoas, que possuem os primeiros símbolos e artefatos associados ao Complexo Cerimonial do Sudeste (Culto do Sul).

1150-1350 Período Maduro do Mississipio

A grande cidade do planalto de Macon declina e os montes e vilas de Lamar e Stubbs aparecem logo abaixo. Essas cidades são uma combinação da antiga cultura da floresta e das ideias do Mississippi. O Culto do Sul, caracterizado por motivos artísticos extravagantes e artefatos especializados, floresce em lugares como Roods Landing e Etowah (GA), Moundville (AL), Ilha Hiwasee (TN), Cahokia (IL) e Spiro (OK).

1350-1650 Período final do Mississipio (proto-histórico)

A cultura Lamar, nomeada em homenagem aos Montes Lamar e Unidade de Aldeia do Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee, se difunde nas chefias do Sudeste marcadas por aldeias menores, mais numerosas, muitas vezes estocadas, com um centro cerimonial marcado por uma ou duas combinações de montes de Woodland e Mississippian elementos

1540 Cronistas da expedição de Hernando DeSoto no interior da América do Norte, escreva as primeiras descrições dos Lamar e culturas relacionadas, ancestrais do histórico Creek (Muscogean), Cherokee (Iroquoian), Yuchi (Euchee) e outros povos do Sudeste. A maioria de suas cidades principais está situada perto de ricos campos de milho, feijão e abóbora. Muitas cidades apresentam praças abertas e montes de templos de barro. Os edifícios públicos e as casas são construídos com troncos verticais, entrelaçados com cipós ou cana e rebocados com argila (taipa). Alguns são elaboradamente decorados e contêm grandes esculturas em madeira. Os 600 homens e 300 cavalos da expedição de DeSoto devastam os suprimentos de alimentos locais, epidemias de doenças europeias dizimam muitas populações.

1565 O espanhol estabelecer seu primeiro assentamento permanente em Santo Agostinho, estabelecer postos avançados em cidades ao longo da costa atlântica ao norte, e começar a missionar os índios. Padres e soldados viajam pelos sistemas fluviais para outras cidades no interior da área que se tornariam a Geórgia.

1670 O britânico estabelecer Charles Town (Charleston, SC) na costa do Atlântico. Apesar da oposição espanhola, os exploradores ingleses iniciam contato e comércio com cidades do interior.

1690 Uma feitoria britânica é construído em Ochese Creek (atual Ocmulgee River no local agora protegido dentro do Ocmulgee National Monument). Várias cidades de Muscogee mudam-se do rio Chattahoochee para esta vizinhança para ficar perto dos ingleses. Nesta época, o rio Ocmulgee é chamado Ochese-hatchee ou Ochisi-hatchi (várias grafias). As cidades são conhecidas como Nação Ochese Creek. Os britânicos acabam se referindo a eles simplesmente como "gregos". Eles falam variações da língua muscogeana, mas sua confederação incorpora outros grupos, como os yuchi, que falam línguas diferentes. Os Creeks adquirem cavalos da Flórida espanhola e armas dos britânicos. Sua cultura e vestuário são modificados pelo uso de produtos comerciais como panelas de ferro, facas de aço e tecido de algodão.

1704 Coronel James Moore, com um bando de cerca de cinquenta homens de Charles Town, lidera 1.000 guerreiros das cidades Creek no rio Ocmulgee até a Flórida. Eles devastam o sistema da Missão Apalachee espanhola e levam os espanhóis de volta a Santo Agostinho. Depois que muitos dos habitantes do norte da Flórida são exterminados, alguns dos Creeks se mudam para a área e incorporam os sobreviventes em seu próprio grupo. Essas pessoas são posteriormente conhecidas como Seminole e Miccosuki.

1715 A guerra de Yamassee irrompe em protesto contra as indignidades britânicas relacionadas ao comércio de peles, incluindo a tomada de índios embarcados como escravos para trabalhar nas plantações de açúcar do Caribe. Muitos comerciantes em território indiano são mortos. Em retaliação, os britânicos queimam a cidade de Ocmulgee em Ochese Creek. As cidades Creek recuam para o rio Chattahoochee e os Yuchis se mudam com elas. O povo é conhecido como Lower Creeks. Os Creeks Superiores estão centrados nos rios Coosa e Tallapoosa a nordeste.

1733 The Georgia Colony se estabelece em terras ao longo das margens do rio Savannah dadas ao general James Oglethorpe pelo chefe Tomochichi dos Yamacraws, um grupo relacionado aos Creeks Inferiores. A Colônia serve como um amortecedor entre a Carolina do Sul e a Flórida Espanhola.

1739 General James Oglethorpe, fundador da Colônia da Geórgia, viaja o antigo caminho comercial através dos montes e antigos campos de plantio em Ocmulgee a caminho de Coweta (perto do que agora é Columbus, GA) para se encontrar com os Creeks. Um de seus Rangers escreve uma breve descrição dos montes no que hoje é o Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee. Um limite ocidental para a colônia é definido ao longo do rio Ogeechee. A área se estende ao longo da costa até a atual fronteira norte da Flórida.

1774 William Bartram, naturalista e botânico de renome, segue a rota comercial de Lower Creek desde Augusta até a área. Em seu diário, ele registra este relato dos Campos Antigos de Ocmulgee:

& quot Nas alturas desses terrenos baixos ainda são visíveis

monumentos, ou vestígios, de uma cidade antiga, como artificial

montes ou terraços, praças e bancos, circundando consideráveis

áreas. Seus antigos campos e terras de plantio estendem-se para cima e para baixo

o rio, quinze ou vinte milhas deste local. Se nós formos

dar crédito à conta que os Creeks dão de si mesmos, este

lugar é notável por ser a primeira cidade ou povoado, quando

eles se sentaram (como eles chamam) ou se estabeleceram, após

sua emigração do oeste. & quot

1778 Durante a Guerra Revolucionária, muitos creeks querem permanecer neutros, mas Alexander McGillivray (de ascendência Creek-escocesa, educado na Carolina do Sul, chefe principal dos Creeks Superior e Inferior) os leva a uma aliança com a Inglaterra.

1793 Invenção do descaroçador de algodão acelera enormemente o desejo por um rico solo fluvial. Os índios Creek, em sua maioria excelentes agricultores, se adaptam rapidamente a uma economia baseada no algodão.

1805 O primeiro Tratado de Washington cede o restante da terra entre os rios Oconee e Ocmulgee, excluindo uma faixa de 3x5 milhas conhecida como Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve no atual Macon, que o povo de Muscogee (Creek) se recusa a desistir. O tratado permite que os Estados Unidos construam uma estrada através da Nação Creek até o Rio Alabama e instalações para acomodações públicas ao longo dessa estrada. Grande parte desta & quotFederal Road & quot segue a antiga rota comercial de Lower Creek e eventualmente se estende de Washington, D.C. a New Orleans. O tratado também prevê um forte militar dos Estados Unidos na reserva para proteger a fronteira ao longo do rio Ocmulgee. Este posto avançado é chamado de Fort Hawkins em homenagem a Benjamin Hawkins, Agente Indígena dos Estados Unidos para os Creeks e amigo de George Washington.

1806 ForteHawkins é construído a uma curta distância dos montes. Ele serve como posto avançado de fronteira, comércio e centro e local para pagamentos de tratados aos Creeks até que a fronteira dos Estados Unidos seja posteriormente estendida ao Território do Alabama. Durante toda a sua existência como um forte militar dos EUA, ele ocupou um terreno de propriedade da Confederação Muscogee (Creek).

1811 Shawnee Chefe Tecumseh, trabalhando com seu irmão, o Profeta, viaja para cima e para baixo na fronteira exortando os índios a descartar seus arados, uísque e os costumes do homem branco. Alguns dos Creeks juntam-se ao seu movimento e quase todas as cidades têm uma facção chamada de & quotRed Stick & quot. Os líderes estão tão divididos quanto seu povo. William McIntosh surge como líder da facção leal ao governo dos EUA. William Weatherford (Red Eagle) se torna o líder mais importante dos Red Sticks.

1812 General Andrew Jackson (mais tarde presidente) para em Fort Hawkins durante a Guerra de 1812. O forte é um importante porto de encontro para o envio de tropas. Esta guerra com a Grã-Bretanha diz respeito às questões dos direitos marítimos neutros e do envolvimento britânico nos problemas indianos ao longo da fronteira. As hostilidades entre os leais ao Creek e os Red Sticks tradicionalistas aumentam. Sticks vermelhos atacam e destroem Tuckabatchee e várias outras cidades de Upper Creek no norte do Alabama.

1819 A antiga via comercial de Lower Creek, agora chamada de Federal Road, é a principal artéria de norte a sudoeste por muitos anos (a State Highway 49 segue grande parte dessa rota através da Geórgia Central). Ele serve como rota postal de Nova York a Nova Orleans. Uma balsa é construída perto dos montes na Reserva Old Ocmulgee Fields, e a primeira criança branca, mais tarde Sra. Isaac Winship, nasce na área.

1821 Os Creeks desistir das terras entre o rio Ocmulgee e o rio Flint.

1823 The Creek Council aprova uma lei que prevê a pena de morte para qualquer pessoa que ceda terras sem a autoridade do Conselho. As pressões para a remoção de índios continuam aumentando. Alguns Creeks, incluindo William McIntosh, acreditam que a remoção é inevitável.

A cidade de Macon está situada do outro lado do rio a partir de Fort Hawkins. O primeiro jornal do Middle Georgia, o Georgia Messenger, é publicado em Fort Hawkins e um correio é estabelecido.

1825 O Tratado de Indian Springs cedendo as últimas terras Creek na Geórgia é assinado pelo chefe William McIntosh. Seu primo é o governador da Geórgia. Ele vende as terras Creek e, conseqüentemente, é assassinado por seu próprio povo. O tratado é declarado ilegal pelo governo federal, mas as autoridades da Geórgia discordam. Eles pressionam com mais força para a remoção.

1826 O segundo Tratado de Washington oficialmente entrega as últimas terras Creek na Geórgia. Alguns dos Creeks se juntam ao Seminole na Flórida, outros se mudam para o Alabama. Cerca de 1.300, a maioria membros da facção McIntosh, reassentam-se no vale do rio Arkansas no & quotIndian Territory & quot, agora o estado de Oklahoma, em terras dadas a eles sob o programa de remoção voluntária do governo

1828 O velho Ocmulgee Reserva de Campos, incluindo Fort Hawkins e os montes, é pesquisado e distribuído em lotes de terra incorporados à cidade de Macon. Roger e Eliazar McCall compram uma parte de Old Fields e estabelecem uma empresa de fabricação de barcos planos de sucesso. Sobre a área do monte, o jornal local noticiou:

& quotO local é romântico ao extremo que, com o enterro

montes adjacentes, há muito tempo são os locais favoritos de nosso

belos e belos vilarejos, e objetos de curiosidade para estranhos.

Devemos nos arrepender de ver esses monumentos da antiguidade e da

nossa história nivelada pelo arado sórdido - - poderíamos desejar que

eles podem permanecer sempre presentes, sagrados para a solidão, para

reflexão e inspiração. & quot

1836 A Guerra Creek de 1836 termina quando cerca de 2.500 pessoas, incluindo várias centenas de guerreiros acorrentados, marcham a pé para Montgomery, AL, e aglomeram-se em barcaças durante o calor extremo de julho. Eles são transportados por barcos a vapor pelo rio Alabama, iniciando sua remoção forçada para o Território Indígena. Durante o verão e inverno de 1836 e início de 1837, mais de 14.000 riachos fizeram a viagem de três meses até Oklahoma, uma viagem de mais de 800 milhas terrestres e outras 400 por água. A maioria sai com apenas o que pode carregar.

1839 O Cherokee começam sua & quotTrail of Tears. & quot. Alguns escapam e permanecem nas montanhas do leste do Tennessee e da Carolina do Norte, onde a maioria de seus descendentes agora vive na Reserva Qualla perto de Cherokee, NC.

1843 A Ferrovia Central constrói uma linha férrea para Macon através dos Ocmulgee Old Fields, destruindo uma parte do Lesser Temple Mound e a grande cidade pré-histórica. Uma locomotiva & quotroundhouse & quot está localizada perto do Funeral Mound.

1840 Os enormes carvalhos nos montes são cortados para a madeira. Até essa época, os Old Ocmulgee Fields e Brown's Mount (outra cidade pré-histórica pitoresca a cerca de 6 milhas rio abaixo) eram os resorts favoritos para piqueniques e festas, primeiro pelos oficiais em Fort Hawkins e depois pelos residentes de Macon.

Grande parte do local do Macon Plateau torna-se parte da Plantação Dunlap. A argila para a fabricação de tijolos é extraída perto do Grande Monte do Templo e uma fábrica de fertilizantes é construída nas proximidades.

1864 General da União George Stoneman se aproxima da cidade de Macon em julho. O governador Brown, que está em Macon, pede que todos os homens aptos defendam a cidade. Uma bateria está estacionada perto do local de Fort Hawkins. Grandes armas são carregadas em vagões na ponte da ferrovia

sobre o rio Ocmulgee dentro dos limites do que hoje é o Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee. O general Stoneman destrói Griswoldville, continua até Macon e queima a ponte da ferrovia sobre Walnut Creek na propriedade Dunlap. Ele usa a casa da fazenda de Dunlap como seu quartel-general durante a batalha que se seguiu. Não conseguindo tomar a cidade, Stoneman e suas tropas são perseguidos

no condado vizinho de Jones, onde são derrotados na Igreja Sunshine. O General Stoneman e seus oficiais são encarcerados no Campo Oglethorpe em Macon e seus soldados são enviados para o infame campo de prisioneiros de guerra em Andersonville. Stoneman é o oficial mais graduado da União feito prisioneiro durante a Guerra Civil.

1874 Um segundo grande corte para uma ferrovia (ainda em uso) é escavado através da área do monte e destrói uma grande parte do monte funerário. De acordo com Charles C. Jones, em seu livro, Antiguidades do Índios do sul, muitas relíquias e sepultamentos humanos são removidos durante este trabalho.

1933 Uma grande parte do Monte McDougal é removido para usar como sujeira de preenchimento para a rua principal. A escalada em motocicleta deixa cicatrizes nas encostas e no cume do Monte do Grande Templo. Um grupo de cidadãos locais está convencido de que os montes são de grande importância histórica e devem ser preservados. Liderados pelo General Walter A.Harris, Dr. Charles C. Harrold e Linton Solomon, eles buscam assistência da Smithsonian Institution, que envia o Dr. Arthur Kelly para organizar e conduzir escavações arqueológicas no Planalto Macon.

1934 Tesouros arqueológicos são desenterrados. À medida que o trabalho avança, um projeto de lei é aprovado pelo Congresso para autorizar o estabelecimento de um Parque Nacional Ocmulgee de 2.000 acres. O esforço arqueológico é a maior escavação até então realizada no país. A mão de obra é fornecida por centenas de trabalhadores empregados em vários programas de obras públicas da era da Grande Depressão.

1936 Presidente Franklin D. Roosevelt em 12 de dezembro, assina a Proclamação estabelecendo o Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee e direcionando o National Park Service para preservar e proteger 2.000 acres de & quotlands, comumente conhecidas como Old Ocmulgee Fields. & quot Devido a restrições econômicas, apenas 678,48 foram adquiridos, incluindo 40 acres nos destacados Lamar Mounds and Village. Mais tarde, mais 5 acres são adicionados à Unidade Lamar Mounds and Village e a parcela conhecida como Drakes Field é doada à nação para inclusão no Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee pela cidade de Macon. O parque atualmente abrange 702 hectares.

1940 Tripulantes da era da Grande Depressão, incluindo membros da Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1426 estacionados no Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee, são convocados para o serviço militar quando os Estados Unidos entram na Segunda Guerra Mundial. Os homens são enviados para o próximo acampamento Wheeler, que se torna o maior campo de treinamento de infantaria do país.

Anos 1960 Uma rodovia interestadual (I-16), construída através da Unidade Macon Plateau, corta a área de uso principal do visitante da fronteira do rio com quilômetros de extensão e causa mudanças hidrológicas significativas nas terras localizadas na planície de inundação do rio. Durante a escavação arqueológica no corredor da rodovia dentro do parque, evidências de Muscogee (Creek) e assentamentos anteriores, juntamente com três sepultamentos humanos, são descobertos. Vários locais pré-históricos e históricos importantes fora do parque foram destruídos ou fortemente danificados, incluindo o Gledhill I, II e III nas proximidades (onde uma ponta de lança Clovis da Idade do Gelo é encontrada por um coletor de artefato durante a remoção de terra de preenchimento para construção de estradas), ao longo com o site New Pond, Adkins mound e Shellrock Cave. Archaic, Woodland, Mississippian e aldeias históricas Creek e acampamentos do outro lado do rio, como Mile Track, Napier, Mossy Oak e Horseshoe Bend, já foram danificados pela construção de dique na década de 1940.

Década de 1970 The Swift Creek Mounds and Village, local-tipo de uma cultura difundida do período da floresta, é destruído para a construção de um campo de tiro do Departamento do Xerife do Condado de Bibb. As primeiras coleções arqueológicas do Dr. Kelly, ainda sob os cuidados do National Park Service, são tudo o que resta deste grande local, que estava localizado em Ocmulgee Old Fields perto da Unidade Lamar Village do Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee.

1992 Descendentes de Roger e Eliazar McCall doe quase 300 acres, adjacentes ao limite de Walnut Creek do parque, para o National Park Service. The Archeological Conservancy aceita a legislação pendente de propriedade para incorporá-la ao Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee. O terreno, propriedade desta família há quase 175 anos, foi designado Reserva Arqueológica Scott-McCall.

1997 O velho Ocmulgee Campos são considerados elegíveis para se tornarem o primeiro Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos listado para uma Propriedade Cultural Tradicional, ou Distrito, a leste do Rio Mississippi. Esta distinção reconhece a grande importância da área para o povo Muscogee (Creek).

Presente O pessoal do parque, o Ocmulgeemonumento nacional Associação, os Amigos de Ocmulgee Old Fields e os muitos voluntários do parque permaneceremos dedicados à missão de proteger e preservar este lugar tão especial para o usufruto dos cidadãos de hoje e das gerações futuras.

Corkran, David H. The Creek Frontier, 1540-1783. Norman: University of Oklahoma, Press, 1967.

Cotterill, Robert S. Os índios do sul, a história das cinco tribos civilizadas antes da remoção.

Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1954.

Debo, Angie. A estrada para o desaparecimento: uma história dos índios Creek. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1941.

Eggleston, George Cary. Águia vermelha e as guerras com os índios Creek de Alabama. Nova York: Dodd, Mead, 1878.

Foreman, Grant. As Cinco Tribos Civilizadas. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1934.

Foreman, Grant. Remoção de índios. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.

Foreman, Grant. Índios e pioneiros. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.

Green, Donald. The Creek People. Série Tribal Indiana. Phoenix, 1973.

Griffith, Benjamin W., Jr. McIntosh e Weatherford, líderes indianos de Creek. University of Alabama Press. 1988.

Hudson, Charles M. Os índios do sudeste. Knoxville: The University of Tennessee Press, 1976.

Swanton, John R. História Antiga dos índios Creek e seus vizinhos.

Bureau of American Ethnology, 73rd Bulletin, Washington, D.C., U. S. Gov't Printing Office, 1922.

Branco, George. Coleções históricas de Georgia. Nova York: Rodney & amp Russell, 1854


Ocmulgee YTB-532 - História


Reunião do conselho no templo de inverno do Mestre Fazendeiro. Diorama do museu.


Templos e agricultura

Chegamos agora ao período da história de Ocmulgee que é o mais abundantemente suprido de fatos resultantes das escavações. Os Mestres Fazendeiros, que é o nome escolhido para essas pessoas nas exposições do Museu, eram recém-chegados a Ocmulgee. Pode ser que sua chegada tenha recebido forte resistência dos primeiros fazendeiros, que reivindicaram o título dessas terras nos últimos mil anos. Por volta de A. D. 900, eles se mudaram para esta área, provavelmente de uma direção noroeste, e começaram a construir vilas com algumas características muito novas.

Não sabemos onde essa migração teve seu início. Os alunos do assunto acreditam que ela pode ter começado no vale do Mississippi, próximo à foz do rio Missouri. Sabemos, no entanto, que alguns de seus parentes mais próximos se estabeleceram no nordeste do Tennessee e, talvez, à medida que o grupo ancestral subia o rio Tennessee, ele se dividiu na ponta da curva abrupta para o norte, no norte do Alabama. Então, uma geração seguinte, que tomou o centro da Geórgia como seu lar, estabeleceu-se em dois lugares perto do rio Ocmulgee. A vila menor ficava cerca de 5 milhas abaixo da atual cidade de Macon em um remanescente de calcário conhecido como Monte Brown, a maior, com a qual estamos preocupados aqui, era os "Campos Antigos de Ocmulgee" dos primeiros colonizadores, do outro lado do rio da cidade moderna e adjacente ao seu limite oriental.

A característica mais importante que distingue essas pessoas de seus antecessores, no entanto, não é sua cidade, mas seu próprio modo de vida. Eles eram fazendeiros além de fumo, abóboras e feijões, eles cultivavam o cajado da vida do Novo Mundo, o milho. Esse modo de vida permitiu que eles se fixassem em um lugar por tempo suficiente e em número suficiente para criar uma grande aldeia e desenvolver o complexo religioso e cerimonial que se expressava em suas numerosas estruturas distintas. Eles a construíram no terreno alto e ondulado acima do rio, onde suas casas quadradas de palha estavam espalhadas entre os muitos prédios ligados à sua forma de adoração. Estes últimos consistiam em estruturas retangulares de madeira que chamamos de templos, e uma câmara circular com uma estrutura de madeira coberta com argila que era uma forma de cabana de terra. Com base em nosso conhecimento do padrão indígena posterior nessa área, acreditamos que eles representavam os templos de verão e inverno, respectivamente, da tribo. Aqui, os homens adultos participavam de cerimônias religiosas e realizavam seus conselhos tribais e aqui o chefe podia tomar decisões em disputas individuais ou em questões importantes para a tribo como um todo.


A foto no manual original retratava restos humanos. Em respeito aos descendentes das pessoas que viveram em Ocmulgee, a representação de restos mortais e objetos funerários não será exibida na edição online.
Uma tumba de madeira e sua localização central podem indicar o sepultamento principal no primeiro estágio do Monte Funeral. A posição voltada para baixo pode resultar dos ossos remontados sendo embrulhados em uma pele ou tapete para o enterro.


A foto no manual original retratava restos humanos. Em respeito aos descendentes das pessoas que viveram em Ocmulgee, a representação de restos mortais e objetos funerários não será exibida na edição online.
Montes de contas de concha devem ter sido bens valiosos de muitos dos dignitários de montes de templos anteriores.

Talvez a única característica arqueológica notável a ser revelada pelas escavações em Ocmulgee seja o piso preservado e as partes inferiores de um desses templos de inverno. Os restos consistem em uma seção baixa de parede de argila delineando uma área circular de cerca de 42 pés de diâmetro. Ao pé da parede, um banco baixo de barro com cerca de 15 centímetros de altura circunda a sala e é dividido em 47 assentos, separados por uma rampa baixa de barro. Cada assento tem uma bacia rasa formada em sua borda dianteira, e três dessas bacias marcam assentos na parte traseira de uma plataforma de argila que interrompe o circuito do banco oposto à longa passagem de entrada.

Esta plataforma, no lado oeste do alojamento e se estendendo da parede quase até a fogueira central afundada, é a característica mais notável de todas. Ligeiramente mais alto do que o banco, ele forma uma efígie de águia fortemente reminiscente de várias dessas efígies gravadas em placas de cobre que são parte da parafernália da religião do Culto do Sul, a ser descrita em uma seção posterior. A modelagem da superfície da seção afilada do corpo pode ter existido um dia, mas agora está tão obliterada que apenas uma espécie de efeito recortado nos ombros pode ser percebido. No entanto, esse recurso está presente em pelo menos duas das placas mencionadas, uma do site Etowah no norte da Geórgia e a outra do centro de Illinois. Além disso, ambas as figuras, que representam a águia-pintada, são distinguidas pela mesma forma, quase quadrada, do corpo e das asas, com apenas um ligeiro afilamento de sua base em direção ao ombro. Finalmente, a cabeça da águia plataforma é quase inteiramente preenchida com uma representação clara do "olho bifurcado", que é apresentado também, embora em menor escala, nas duas figuras em questão, e é um símbolo distintivo do Culto do Sul. Toda a câmara cerimonial foi reconstruída com base nas partes queimadas do original que foram descobertas por escavação. É uma das principais exposições do monumento e representa um tesouro arqueológico único.


Quatorze degraus de argila, enterrados sob a construção posterior de um monte, levaram ao topo da encosta oeste do primeiro monte funerário.

Outras estruturas descobertas incluíam uma pequena cabana circular emoldurada por postes e contendo uma grande lareira, desproporcional ao tamanho do edifício. Evidentemente, tratava-se de um pantanal onde o vapor era produzido jogando água em pedras aquecidas, mas não se sabe se essa forma comum de purificação estava relacionada à religião deles ou apenas a uma característica sanitária da vida na aldeia. No limite oeste da aldeia, os chefes tribais e líderes religiosos foram enterrados em grandes tumbas de toras, onde de um a sete corpos, possivelmente de esposas e criados, foram depositados com massas de contas de concha e outros ornamentos condizentes com sua categoria. Acima de tudo, foi erguido um monte baixo de topo plano com 14 degraus de barro que conduziam ao cume.


A cerâmica para o uso diário era simples, mas bem feita e tinha uma grande variedade de formatos agradáveis. Diâmetro do frasco à direita, 14 polegadas.

Ao lado de seu grande e próspero centro religioso, podemos reconstruir muitos aspectos de suas vidas diárias em que os Mestres Fazendeiros eram diferentes de seus predecessores. Essa diferença é notada em suas ferramentas, armas e utensílios domésticos. Eles sobreviveram porque eram feitos de materiais duráveis ​​como pedra e cerâmica. As muitas pontas de projéteis menores agora aparecendo sugerem que o arco e a flecha eram de uso geral naquela época. Maior alcance e precisão foram apresentados como possíveis razões para adotar esta arma no lugar do arremessador de lança e dardo, que precedeu o arco em muitas partes do mundo. Talvez igualmente importante foi um aumento na agitação e contenda tribal que tornou uma quantidade maior de mísseis relativamente pequenos e leves mais eficazes nas breves escaramuças da guerra indiana do que dois ou três dos dardos maiores. Em relação aos outros equipamentos, surpreendentemente poucas ferramentas de osso foram preservadas, mas isso pode ser devido ao maior uso da cana, que era muito eficaz para facas, furadores e outros instrumentos, mas não durava tão bem quanto o osso. Também foram encontradas evidências de que eles fabricavam e usavam cestaria e um tipo de tecido de tecido entrelaçado simples.

A cerâmica obtida na escavação já foi estudada com considerável detalhe devido à reconhecida importância desse marcador de tempo para o arqueólogo. É aqui que encontramos uma das diferenças mais notáveis ​​entre essas pessoas do Vale do Mississippi e as tribos nativas da Geórgia, cuja cerâmica se desenvolveu em linhas muito diferentes por alguns milhares de anos ou mais. Agora) no lugar das muitas formas de rugosidade da superfície que marcaram a história deste último, as superfícies lisas se tornaram a regra. As formas dos jarros têm fundos arredondados, geralmente são tão largos quanto altos, ou mais largos, e mostram uma tendência a aberturas contraídas. Uma forma comum tem um ombro reto inclinado que se transforma repentinamente a partir do contorno do corpo arredondado do vaso. Sua inclinação pode continuar sem alteração para a borda, mas mais freqüentemente ele se tornará para cima novamente para formar um lábio leve ou até mesmo um pescoço curto. Estes contrastam com os potes profundos do período anterior em que a boca, independentemente do tratamento do pescoço ou da borda, tende quase a se igualar ao maior diâmetro, e nos quais a base é conoidal, i. e., arredondado para, pelo menos, a sugestão de um ponto.


As figuras de barro que frequentemente adornavam as bordas de tigelas abertas representavam todos os tipos de criaturas reais e imaginárias. Cerca de um terço do tamanho real.

É claro que os Mestres Fazendeiros também faziam outros tipos de cerâmica. Algumas eram tigelas abertas e outras tinham uma borda curvada que repetia graciosamente a curva da parte inferior logo abaixo da barriga. Havia também potes profundos e de lados retos com paredes extremamente grossas e grandes tigelas rasas de vários metros de diâmetro que foram chamadas de salinas por se acreditar que o tipo às vezes era usado na fabricação dessa substância. Na verdade, provavelmente eram a grande tigela de comida da família, de uso comum também em tempos posteriores. Impressões de um tecido entrelaçado nas superfícies externas do último, algumas marcas de cordão e riscas grosseiras ou outro tratamento nas laterais do primeiro eram exceções à regra geral de superfícies lisas durante este período.


Os frascos de efígies eram geralmente um tipo mais fino de cerâmica e geralmente acompanhavam enterros. O buraco na figura humana está na nuca, enquanto o rosto é pintado, o corpo de vermelho e os cabelos de um castanho natural de argila. Diâmetro da garrafa, 5-5 / 16 polegadas.

No lugar da decoração de superfície, entretanto, encontramos outra forma de elaboração que é um pouco menos comum, mas igualmente distinta. This is the attempt to depict some form, either natural or supernatural, in the body of the vessel or attached to it in some way as an independent figure. Small heads suggesting a fox or an owl or some night creature with big staring eyes grow out of the rim of a bowl and peer into it. The small handles which are fairly common on the straight-shouldered jars often have two little earlike knobs at the top and knobs and bosses with more or less modeling of the body of the pot are frequently used to represent gourds or squashes or some other vegetable which is not easy to identify. One curious style of jar has a neck which is closed at the top, something like a gourd, but has an opening about an inch in diameter below this on the side. Modeling at the top suggests ears, a style of hair arrangement, or some other human or animal feature that gives rise to the name, "blank-faced effigy bottle."

In time, other changes began to mark the village of the Master Farmers. The temples, built originally at ground level, were rebuilt occasionally and with the leveling of the old building to make way for the new the surrounding ground surface was raised at first into a small platform. Gradually this platform was increased in height and size until the mound at the south side of the village was some 300 feet broad at the base and almost 50 feet high. The other temple mounds grew in a similar fashion but were either started later or were less important and so never achieved as great a size. The earthlodges, too, were sometimes rebuilt and often on the same site but no attempt was made to increase their elevation. The funeral mound, however, followed the pattern of the others and in each new layer of the seven there were fresh burials of the village leaders, and on top of each a new wooden structure which may have been connected with the preparation of the dead for their final rites. In the later stages, too, the flat summit area was surrounded by an enclosure of wooden posts.


The structure atop the funeral mound may have been for preparing corpses for burial. From Museum exhibit.

At the northwest corner of the village lay a cultivated field which surrounded the site of one of the earlier temples. This was no ordinary field since most of these must have lain in the bottom land below the village. From its position, then, could we infer some sacred purpose, possibly to create an offering to the spirits, or by the power in its seed absorbed from the surroundings to increase the yield of the villagers' crops? In any case, the mounds for succeeding structures were gradually raised above it and by this act the rows were buried and thus preserved as conclusive proof of the advanced state of culture which the Master Farmers had achieved.


This series of cultivated rows buried beneath the fill of later mound construction confirms our belief that the temple mound builders lived mainly by farming.

The construction of all these mounds and earthlodges required a large amount of material as well as innumerable man-hours of labor. Two series of great linked pits, averaging about 7 feet deep and 18 by 40 feet in area, seem to indicate that the earth was obtained immediately outside the main village limits, for they have been traced around considerable portions of its north and south borders. They do not enclose the entire area occupied by the temple mounds, though, because at least three of these mounds lie outside their confines today others were destroyed in the construction of Fort Hawkins and the adjacent portions of East Macon a little farther to the north. It is not unlikely that the irregular ditches formed by these pits served also as a protection against raids on the village for otherwise, why would their course have outlined the village area so closely?

All the evidence, then, points to the existence here at Ocmulgee of a town of Indians who lived in a state of culture as advanced in some respects as any to be found north of Mexico. We see a prosperous community devoted chiefly to the yearly round of activities designed to cement its relationship with the powerful unseen forces on which its well-being depended. Not too much work was required with the abundant rainfall on this fertile soil to raise the principal food supply for an entire family. The men, like all later Indians, hunted to supply the meat for their diet but they had plenty of free time to devote to the construction and repair of the town's several temple buildings. Here they gathered at stated intervals to go through the time-honored ritual first taught to their fathers by the very spirits themselves, those spirits which gave man the fish and the game and finally the wonderful gift of the corn plant. All of these gifts and many more must be accepted with reverence and treated according to the rules established for their proper use otherwise the spirits would be offended, the game would disappear, and the fields would wither and die.


General view of excavations northeast of ceremonial earthlodge, showing portion of trench surrounding the village.

Of all the annual round of ceremonies the most important was that in honor of the deity whose gift of corn had the miraculous power to renew itself every year. The summer temple, then, was the scene of the year's biggest festival when the new crop was ripe. All the fires of the village were put out and after the men had fasted and purified themselves with the sacred drink, the new fire was lit and offered with the first of the new corn to the Master of Breath. With this act the sins of the past year were forgiven, and the town entered upon a new year with rejoicing. But ever so often the temple needed to be rebuilt, perhaps at the death of the chief priest, who may at the same time have been the chief of the town as well. This called for a mound to be built or the old one to be enlarged and raised higher as a mark of extra devotion and every man must have given his allotment of working days to complete the project, even if several years were required before it was finished. For the new mound was proof to the divine forces of how much their gifts had been appreciated, and a plea that their favor might continue and the town prosper. Also it was proof to all the surrounding tribes of the wealth and strength of the village which was able to erect and maintain these large structures and at the same time to live in plenty and defend itself from its enemies.


Ungrooved ax, or celt, of the temple mound builders

Much of this reconstruction depends heavily on our knowledge of the later tribes of the Southeast and on broader analogies as well. Archeological proof does not exist for much that we have inferred. Yet we know that what we find here could not have been built by villagers living at the level of bare subsistence. Economic surplus was essential, and we know the Indians had the corn with which to create it. Strong leadership was needed to carry such large projects to completion and with it there must have been a social and religious class system to organize the economic and priestly functions of such a community. The temple priests and their assistants and retainers would have formed a rather numerous class with high status in a society so clearly impressed with the importance of the physical expression of its religious ideas. Wealth and power may likewise have rested with a specialized warrior class which controlled the governing function of the group, or it may be that these were combined with the religious duties of the priestly class. Whatever the system employed, several hundred unusually important individuals given special burial in the Funeral Mound attest to the distinctions which existed. Class differences of this sort are the most common basis for a high degree of social and political control and Ocmulgee is a good example of the real attainments of some American Indians along these lines.

In spite of the relatively large amount of information we have about them, however, we know surprisingly little of the ultimate fate of the Master Farmers. We do know that these first bearers of an alien culture from the Mississippi Valley did not persist very long in the area in terms of its previous history. Within 200 years the busy village was deserted, only to be visited by an occasional traveling band descended from the Early Farmers who had lived on in nearby sections. We do not know even whether the last occupants left here in a body to settle elsewhere, whether they gradually died off, whether they were absorbed into the surrounding population, or whether they were finally exterminated by neighbors who had themselves developed large settled communities capable of effective military action. Other ideas came to Georgia from the Mississippi Valley, but Ocmulgee lay silent and was passed by. Only in the last chapter of Indian history in this State was the site again reoccupied for a brief time. Here at the end, to be described in our final chapter, we find the Creek Indians once more living among the haunts of their ancestors.


Ocmulgee River Corridor SRS

The National Park Service (NPS) is conducting a Special Resource Study of the Ocmulgee River Corridor between Macon and Hawkinsville, Georgia. The John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act of 2019 (Dingell Act) directed the Secretary of the Interior to complete the study, the purpose of which is to identify whether the Ocmulgee River Corridor meets specific criteria to be recommended for potential inclusion as a unit of the national park system.

The study area incorporates a corridor of approximately 50 river miles touching the Georgia counties of Bibb, Twiggs, Houston, Bleckley, and Pulaski. Major public land holdings in the area include Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park the Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Robins Air Force Base and the Echeconnee Creek, Oaky Woods, and Ocmulgee State Wildlife Management Areas. There are also several public river landings. Much of the property in the study area is undeveloped, whether it is in private or public ownership.

The river corridor includes a rich human history, with archaeological resources dating from the Paleoindian Period through World War II. Particularly significant are extensive American Indian resources including Mississippian mound sites, and sites associated with Muscogee (Creek) heritage and history. The river corridor is comprised mostly of bottomland hardwood forest and swamp, with some upland forest in the terraces above the floodplain. Diverse wildlife in the area include black bears, white-tailed deer, wood ducks, alligators, wild turkey, and many species of waterfowl.

The 1998 National Parks Omnibus Management Act (54 United States Code 100507) established the process for identifying and authorizing studies of new national park units. A study area must meet four criteria to be recommended as an addition to the national park system. These criteria include: 1) national significance, 2) suitability, 3) feasibility, and 4) need for NPS management. The study process is linear, and each of the four criteria are evaluated sequentially. If the study finds that the river corridor does not meet one of the criteria, the study will not evaluate the subsequent criteria.

While the NPS is conducting the study, the designation of national park units is ultimately the purview of Congress and the President. The purpose of the study is solely to evaluate the area and report to Congress.

Currently, the NPS is synthesizing public comment on the study. More can be learned about the study process and the resources of the study by visiting the study's informational website (see the "Ocmulgee River Corridor Storymap" under the Links tab to the left).

The Dingell Act provides for a three-year time frame to complete the study. Once the report is received by Congress, it will be made available to the public.


Great Temple Mound

Built between 900 - 1100 AD, The Great Temple Mound originally had a dirt ramp that led to a prominent structure built on the top of the mound. Today, travel to the top of the Great Temple Mound for a great view of Downtown Macon.


National Park Getaway: Ocmulgee National Monument

The Earth Lodge is one of seven surviving earthen mounds originally built by the Mississippian culture more than 1,000 years ago.

In the heart of Georgia lies a place that has been settled for 17,000 years. Ocmulgee National Monument’s human history dates to the Paleo-Indian Period, and the area was occupied until the Muscogee (Creek) removal in 1826. Upon arrival at the Visitor Center, you will see over 2,000 artifacts on display, including a Clovis Point spear head dating to 10,000 BCE, earthen pottery made around 3,500 BCE, and European dishware from the 1700s CE.

Ocmulgee is home to the largest archeological dig in American history, with more than 3 million artifacts found by 800 Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers in the 1930s. Four different prehistoric cultures inhabited this area before European settlement in the late 1500s. One such group was the Mississippians, who constructed earth mounds for their elite members of society beginning around 900 CE. Their structures survive to this day, attracting visitors worldwide to the park.

Objects in the museum collection, including a Clovis point (left) and shell gorget (right), provide clues to ways of life representing 17,000 years of human history.

As you explore the park and cross the bridge leading toward the Earth Lodge, you will step back in time. The Earth Lodge floor is 1,000 years old and served as the council chamber used by the Mississippians for meetings and ceremonies. Try to imagine yourself sitting in one of the 50 seats discussing important issues of your day 1,000 years ago.

When you leave the Earth Lodge, you will walk toward the Great Temple Mound and across a railroad bridge to a large field. This area served as an ancient ball field where games like stickball and chunkey were played. Walk past the site of the British Trading Post that was occupied from 1690 to 1715, where the Muscogee (Creek) Indians traded animal skins for European goods such as bells, glass beads, and muskets.

The annual Ocmulgee Indian Celebration brings together craftsmen, dancers, storytellers, and living history demonstrators to celebrate and share their heritage with thousands of visitors.

When you arrive on top of the Great Temple Mound, you will see downtown Macon, Georgia, toward the southwest and hear the roar of cars from the interstate. However, imagine being on top of the mound 1000 years ago. What would you have seen? What would you have heard? A bustling village along the Ocmulgee River with a population of 2,000 people busily going about their day. The men would have been fishing, hunting, and building mounds while the women were making baskets, pottery, and growing crops. You would hear people talking, singing, and laughing as they went about their daily activities. Today only 7 mounds remain for visitors to experience the culture that once thrived here.

The park is self-guided, so visitors can walk or drive to the Great Temple Mound and explore 6 miles of nature trails. Many visitors prefer to visit in the spring and autumn when the humidity is low. During the third weekend in September the park hosts its annual Indian Celebration. During this most popular event of the year, over 200 American Indians share their history and culture with visitors.


Ocmulgee Bottoms in Recorded History

On March 3, 1540, the Hernando de Soto Expedition departed a Native town in the Florida Panhandle. 1 Contemporary scholars labeled the indigenous people in this region, the Apalachee. Actually, according to 17 th century ethnologist, Charles de Rochefort, they called themselves the Tula-halwase (Tallahassee) which means, “Offspring from Highland Towns.” 2 The real Apalache lived in northern Georgia. The Florida Apalachee began as a colony. One of their towns was named Apalache, so the Spanish gave that name to the whole province. This was a common practice by the Spanish. The coastal province of Guale named after a village of the same name on St. Catherines Island, GA. 3

When the expedition reached a river, De Soto ordered that they build a crude boat, which ferried the conquistadors, their horses and their swine to the other side. From there the expedition marched into the Chickasawhatchee Swamp, which was in the Province of Capachequi (Spanish) or Kvpeceke (Muskogee-Creek.) The word means “Wood Ash Lye People” and is still a Creek clan in Oklahoma. 4

From Capachequi, the Spaniards headed northward until they reached a major river, which is now presumed to be the Ocmulgee. 1 This was in the Province of Toasi (Offspring of Toa) With great difficulty, they ferried their men and animals across this river and entered the capital town of Toa. De Soto’s chroniclers described the town as being much better planned that Florida indigenous communities and also having more substantial architecture.

The expedition traveled northwestward along the Ocmulgee, passing through several small villages, until it arrived at a town, whose occupants had fled. 5 Meat was still cooking on a barbecoa. Continuing northward along the river they came to a large town on an island, which was the capital of the Province of Ichesi (Spanish), In Itsate Creek this could be interpreted as either Icesi ou Itsesi . Depending on the interpretation of the Europeanized word, the word could mean either “Children of Corn” or “Offspring of the Itza.” 6 The people in this town were friendly so De Soto ordered a cross hewn from wood and placed on the top of a mound in the center of the town.

French Huguenot Expeditions

In 1564 and 1565, Captain René de Laudonnière, commander of Fort Caroline, dispatched at least six expeditions to explore the interior Florida Française (Georgia). 7 Several went northwestward up the May River in search of mountains that were described by coastal natives as containing gold and silver. Several Frenchmen were in northern or central Georgia when Fort Caroline was massacred by the Spanish in September of 1565.

The indigenous people living immediately south of Lake Tama were described as the Onithea-koa or Onithea People. “Koa” is an Arawak and northern South American suffix for “people.” 8 Those living north of Lake Tama were described as the Maya-koa, or Maya People.

The reader should understand, however, the Maya Indians as a whole, never called themselves Maya. This ethnic name was derived from the name of a province on the northwest tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, named Maiam. The Castilian letter “y” is pronounced like an English “ē.” It is significant, however, that the Province of Maiam was established by initially illiterate Itza Maya invaders around 1000 AD. The original capital was Chichen Itza, but later became Maiapan. 9 Maiapan was still the capital in 1500.

Richard Brigstock Expedition

In 1653, Royalist Barbados was under siege by a fleet dispatched by the English Commonwealth. 29 Royalist Richard Brigstock led a small party to visit the European colony in the Kingdom of Apalache in Northern Georgia. 30 English Catholic, Edward Bland, had visited the same region in 1646, but no chronicles of his visit have yet been discovered. 31

Brigstock did not provide Charles de Rochefort with any eyewitness descriptions of the Ocmulgee Bottoms, but did relate what the High King of Apalache said about its history. The Paracusa of Apalache said that the original homeland of the Apalache was in the region around Lake Tama, i.e. Ocmulgee Bottoms. 32 He said that his people were attacked by the Kofitachete and they had to temporarily abandon the region. This might explain the sudden abandonment of the acropolis at Ocmulgee around 1150 AD. The Apalache called the Ocmulgee Bottoms, the Province of Amana. The Kofitachete had eventually agreed to settle east of Amana. This is probably the province of Cofita, mentioned in the De Soto Chronicles. Amana was re-settled by a different people, probably the Ichisi, but they recognized the Paracusa of Apalache as their High King.

Late 17 th century Carolina traders

Within a relatively short period after Carolina was colonized in 1670, traders made contact with the Native People living on the Ocmulgee River. Those living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were called Ochesee (the Ichisi of De Soto.) Those living north of the Fall Line were called the Ocmulgee (Oka-mole-ke = Water Swirling People.) 33 The corridor south of Ocmulgee Bottoms, including the Forks of the Altamaha (confluence of the Ocmulgee and Oconee River) was the Province of Tama, occupied by a people called either the Tamate, Tamatli or the Tamale. These words are the various ways of saying Merchant People in Itza Maya, Nahuatl and Huastec. South of Tama was the lands of the Yamasee Confederacy.

In the late 17 th century, the Ocmulgee River was called by the Muskogee-Creek name, Auchesi-hachi, which means Ochesee River in English. 34 At that time, “creek” meant a slow moving river in English. It still does in England. So Carolinians began calling the Native villages on the Middle Ocmulgee, the Ochesee Creeks, eventually shortening the name to Creek Indians. However, that word did not appear until around 1738.

In 1690 a fortified trading post was built by the Carolinians on the former Great Plaza of the Ocmulgee acropolis. 35 This became a focal point for trading activities between the Ochesee Creeks and Carolina. The Native American slave trade was in its heyday. Muskogeans would bring captured Indians, who were allies of France or Spain to the fort, along with furs and deerskins. These would be traded for European manufactured goods, such as muskets, lead balls, cloth and cast iron cooking pots.

Smallpox Plague of 1696

A horrific smallpox plague swept through the Piedmont and mountains of Carolina in 1696. 36 During this era, all of present day northern Georgia and the portion of Georgia north of the Altamaha River were considered part of Carolina. North and South Carolina had not been created either. Death rates of 90% to almost 100% were experienced among some Carolina Piedmont tribes. It can be presumed that similar population losses were experience in northeastern and eastern Georgia. This bacteriological holocaust came on the heels of 30 years of Native American slave raids. The impact was to virtually depopulate the countryside. The Kingdom of Apalache in Northeast Georgia completely disappeared from the maps after 1701. Some Apalachee remained in what is now Gwinnett County. The Apalachee River, a tributary of the Oconee River, is named after them.

Queen Anne’s War (1701-1707)

Great Britain became involved in a war on the mainland of Europe, which spilled over into North America. Spain attempted to strike the first blow by sending a force of 800 Spanish soldiers and Native American mercenaries through Southwest Georgia. 37 The Spanish intended to destroy the trading post fort at Ochesee and then strike Charleston from its back door. The Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws in southwest Georgia hated the Spaniards. They set up a camp on the Flint River, making it look like they were asleep then hid out. The Spaniards were lured into attacking the empty camp. Most of the Spanish force was killed when the Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws came out of hiding and surrounded the Spaniards.

In 1704, Colonel James Moore traveled from Charleston to Fort Ochesee with 50 men and gathered together 1,000 Muskogean warriors for an invasion of northern Florida. 38 The force virtually exterminated the Apalachee Mission system. Some Apalache immediately joined the Creek-British force and helped fight the Spanish. However, at least 3,000 pro-Spanish Apalache were taken back in chains to Charleston and sold into slavery. Most of the Florida Apalachee slaves lived short brutal lives on Caribbean sugar plantations.

John Beresford Map (1715)

When tensions were increasing on the Southeast, a Carolina militia officer, John Beresford, prepared a sketch map of the Native American tribes and French forts in the Southeast. 39 It included an estimate of the number of men of military age in each tribe – or in the case of the proto-Creeks, each town. The population of Ocmulgee Bottoms was miniscule, compared to what it had been in earlier times. His estimate was as follows: Westo-15, Taskeke-60, Coweta-30, Sawake-20 and Attate-20. There is no mention on the map of either the Ochesee or the Ocmulgee bands. The region apparently was devastated by repeated plagues. This is the first map to mention a word similar to Cherokee. It showed 200 Charakey warriors in extreme NW South Carolina and 800 Charakey warriors in extreme northeast Tennessee. It is obvious that the Cherokees had nothing like the population of 30,000 now claimed by contemporary Cherokee tourist literature.

Yamasee War (1715-1717)

On the evening of April 24, 1715 four Carolina colonial representatives were tortured to death by their hosts at the Yamasee town of Pocotaligo. 40 Soon thereafter Yamasee armies swept through the Carolina Low Country, killing hundreds of men, women and children. Almost simultaneous the Ochesee Creeks attack to the trading post fort on the Macon Plateau, killed its occupants and burned the fort. Soon after that, a combined force of Catawba and Cherokee warriors massacred two South Carolina militia units sent to suppress them. However, the Ochesee Creeks hesitated to attack South Carolina until they were certain of the direction that the war was taking. Meanwhile, about 90 out of the 100 South Carolina Indian traders in the Southeast were killed.

In December of 1715, a delegation of “Creek” leaders was invited to the neutral Yuchi town of Tugaloo for a diplomatic conference. 41 All historical markers and Cherokee histories call Tugaloo a Cherokee town, but ALL maps of the early 1700s label it a Hogeloge (Yuchi) town. 42 It is not clear, who these “Creek” leaders were, because neither the word Creek Indian, nor the Creek Confederacy existed in 1715. In fact, 1715 is the first year that even the word Charakey is seen in a British document.

The version of events at Tugaloo most commonly seen in online media is that 12 “Creek” leaders were killed in an argument. 43 The Cherokees then switched from being enemies of South Carolina to allies. The Creek version of events was that 32 “Creek” leaders were killed in their sleep then the Cherokees swept through northeast Georgia capturing Creek lands. History does verify that 40 years later the Koweta Creeks executed 32 Cherokee chiefs then declared the Creek-Cherokee War over. 44

Because of the lost of leaders and the Cherokee switch to the British side, the Muskogeans in Georgia did not play a major role in the Yamasee War, and soon sued for peace again with South Carolina. 45 During the war, most of the Muskogean towns and village in eastern and central Georgia relocated to the Chattahoochee River. Those in western North Carolina relocated to southwest Georgia. By then the Cherokees had achieved “most favored” status and the Creeks would have secondary priority for access to munitions until Georgia was founded in 1733.

Colonel John Barnwell Map (1722)

1721 Barnwell Map of Southeast America. Used with permission of Yale University and People of One Fire.

This map was prepared after the King George I revoked the charter of the Carolina Proprietors and made South Carolina and North Carolina separate Crown colonies. On the map Barnwell renamed the May River, the Altamaha or King George River, to assert British claims to what is now southern Georgia. [See Barnwell map as part of this article.]

On his map Barnwell wrote that “The Ochesee Creeks deserted the Ocmulgee River and now live on the Chattahoochee River.” Still living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were the Taskeke, Colima, Attate and Coweta Indians. Obviously, they were not considered Ochesee Creeks in 1722.

Founding of the Colony of Georgia (1733)

Relations between the British colonists and the Creek Indians were excellent from the start. While the Creeks always distrusted the South Carolinians, they considered the Georgians to be their closest allies and best friends. 46 Many of the conferences between the leaders of the young colony occurred either at Indian Springs, north of the Ocmulgee Bottoms or in the vicinity of the mounds of the ancient town site on the Macon Plateau.

The Ochesee Creeks on the Chattahoochee River no longer were dominant in what was now a full-fledged Creek Confederacy, except that it was called the Coweta Confederacy and Coweta was the word typically used for Creek Indian by both the British and the French. Oglethorpe founded the town of Augusta within Creek territory in order to dominate the Indian trade in the Southeast. It was considered an “Indian town” in which members of all tribes were free to walk around and socialize with the locals.

Visit by General James Edward Oglethorpe (1739)

Governor Oglethorpe traveled the trading path through the mounds and old cultivated fields at Ocmulgee on his way to Coweta which was then near present day Carrollton. Here he met Creek leaders. One of his Rangers wrote a short description of what is now Ocmulgee National Monument. 47

Map by Emmanuel Bowen (1747)

This was the first British produced map to show all of the territory that would eventually become the State of Georgia after the founding of the Colony of Georgia. [See map attached to this article.] It showed Ocmulgee Bottoms occupied by the Kaonita, Kowetas, Taskeke, Echete (Itsate), Colima and Attasees. The Echete (Itsate) were shown on the 1715 Beredford Map as occupying the northeast corner of Georgie. Apparently, most did not want to be part of the Cherokee Alliance. All but one of the Echete villages in NE Georgia disappeared from subsequent maps. The Cowetas were originally from Northeast Georgia and the section of the North Carolina Mountains, east of Franklin, NC. Perhaps these were some of the tribes invited to the conference at Tugaloo.

John Mitchell Map (1755)

This famous map only shows the Koweta and Echete still living in Ocmulgee Bottoms, but there may have been other villages that Mitchell was not aware of. He lived in England. 48

William Bartram (1774)

The famous map of North America published by John Mitchell in 1755 precisely notes the locations of Creek and Alabama villages on the Alabama and Chattahoochee River systems.

Bartram traveled on the Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta through Ocmulgee Bottoms on his way to visit Tuckabatchee. 49 He recorded his visit in his journal, which later in his life, became his famous book.

“On the heights of these low grounds are yet visible monuments, or traces, of an ancient town, such as artificial mounts or terraces, squares and banks, encircling considerable áreas. Their old fields and planting land extend up and down the river, fifteen or twenty miles from this site. If we are to give credit to the account the Creeks give of themselves, this place is remarkable for being the first town or settlement, when they sat down (as they term it) or established themselves, after their emigration from the west.”

First Treaty of Washington (1805)

After much pressure from Georgia officials and Thomas Jefferson, the Creek Confederacy ceded the remainder of their land between the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. 50 The Creeks refused to give up the ruins of the ancient town in Ocmulgee Bottoms that the Creeks called Waka-te. The treaty excluded a 3 by 5 mile strip known as the Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve.

The treaty allowed the United States to construct a road across the Creek Nation to the Alabama River now known as the Alabama Road. It also allowed both Creeks and white men to build facilities for public accommodations along this road. Much of this “Federal Road” follows the ancient Lower Creek Trading Path and eventually stretches from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans. The treaty also provided for a US Army fort to be built on the Reserve to guard the frontier along the Ocmulgee River. Almost immediately after the treaty was announced, real estate speculators and squatters occupied most of the Ocmulgee Reserve. 51 Most of the Ocmulgee Reserve was quickly and illegally subdivided.

Fort Hawkins (1806)

Fort Hawkins was constructed on a hill immediately north of some mounds in 1806. 52 It is now known that that this location was the site of a satellite village of the Ocmulgee Acropolis. Fort Hawkins was never assaulted, because most Georgia Creeks developed cultural ties with their white neighbors. Instead, it served as an administrative center for Federal activities in the lower Southeast. Fort Hawkins was used as a staging site for army units destined to combat the Red Stick Creeks in Alabama, during the War of 1812. For the entirety of its existence as a federal facility, it sat on land technically owned by the Creek Confederacy. The land was not offered back to the Creeks, when the fort was closed.

Treaty of Indian Springs (1825)

Mixed-heritage Creek leader, William McIntosh, along with a few close friends, who included two mixed-heritage sons of Federal Indian agent, Benjamin Hawkins, arranged to make a treaty with the State of Georgia that ceded all Creek lands in Georgia, including the Ocmulgee Reserve. 53 The Creek signers of the treaty put in provisions that gave them one square mile reserves, which they planned to subdivide. In addition they paid themselves for signing the treaty. The small group of signers did not have authority to sign any treaty and ironically broke a law that McIntosh had earlier voted for, which proscribed the death penalty for those illegally giving away Creek land.

Congress considered the treaty fraudulent and refused to ratify it. In the mean time there was chaos in Georgia as the state had gone ahead and surveyed out land lots. Squatters moved in while Creek families still lived on their farms. Many mixed-blood Creeks had opted to keep their lands and become citizens of the State of Georgia. Christian Creeks were banned from most Creek towns.

Treaty of Washington City (1827)

Members of the Creek National Council signed this legitimate treaty in Washington, DC, which ceded all Creek lands in Georgia. 54 It did not specifically mention the Ocmulgee Reserve, whose original legal description stated that it would be owned in perpetuity regardless of other future land cessions by the Creek Confederacy. However, the signers of the document, representing the United States and State of Georgia, assumed that the reserve no longer existed. Fort Hawkins had been abandoned in 1824, so the federal government had no need of the land.


Mark Andy Equipment

Mark Andy and our trusted portfolio of brands have set the standard in innovative technologies in the print industry. We have a legacy of building reliable, productive equipment designed to increase profitability. With a broad range of equipment, you can depend on us to have the solution for any printing and converting objective, supporting every application, every time.

Featured Products

Digital Series HD

A configurable production-class digital press pairing premium quality and high speeds for any label application need, now and into the future.

Performance Series

The Mark Andy Performance Series press line increases profitability for the simplest to most complex label applications.

Digital Plus Screen

A rail-mounted digital print bar that replaces conventional rotary screen units at half the operating cost.

Our Technologies

Flexographic Printing Solutions

Industry-leading flexographic presses

Digital Presses

The best of digital and flexo in a single machine

Press Upgrades

Retrofit solutions to enhance equipment

Pre-Owned Equipment

Used equipment certified by Mark Andy

Supplemental Equipment

Supporting solutions for production efficiency

Rotoflex Finishing Equipment

Inspection, rewind and finishing technology powered by Rotoflex

Offset Printing Presses

Presstek printing technologies for commercial print applications

Testimonials

Everything from start to finish was coordinated with Mark Andy. Both our team and Mark Andy’s were very methodical and did a great job. It was fantastic it was real teamwork – like we were one company.

- Great Lakes Label, Grand Rapids, Michigan Read More Testimonials

We have committed fully to Mark Andy because we see them as a no risk investment for the bulk of our business.

Flexo technology is perfect for our product portfolio here, and Mark Andy manufactures the best narrow web press for day to day production, in my opinion. We are very proud to work with them and grateful for their ongoing support.

We had a Mark Andy technician onsite throughout the entire installation and startup process, and the support hasn’t stopped there. The caliber of service has been amazing.

- Jeff Jaynes, Label Solutions Read More Testimonials

We value our partnership with Mark Andy and have truly experienced their total solutions offering. Their comprehensive understanding of and involvement with the entire printing workflow continues to impress us.

- Jan Greis, U.S. Tape and Label Read More Testimonials

The sales process was very satisfactory. From when we first requested a quote to the configuration consultancy to the demo at Mark Andy, all the way through the press build the organization was excellent.

- Juan Carlos Arroyave, Etipress Read More Testimonials

We haven’t had one plate lift incident. Plates even sat for a week before going back on press and still no lifting. Consider me switched to tesa thanks to Mark Andy Print Products expertise.

Mark Andy didn’t just sell us a press, they sold us a future.

- Neil Doniger, Nadco Tapes & Labels Read More Testimonials

We looked at four or five different manufacturers but chose Mark Andy because of their history and commitment to the label industry.

We have relied on Mark Andy flexo presses for years and felt they were the best company to understand the digital needs of a label converter.


Assista o vídeo: uma edição ff (Pode 2022).