Podcasts de história

Monumento Corágico de Lisícrates

Monumento Corágico de Lisícrates


Museu J. Paul Getty

Um monumento circular com colunas coríntias revestindo o exterior. O monumento tem um teto redondo e está instalado em um pódio quadrado. O monumento encontra-se parcialmente escavado e o terreno em redor apresenta pequenas pilhas de entulho. Existem algumas casas com telhado de telha atrás do monumento.

Esta informação é publicada a partir da base de dados da coleção do Museu. Atualizações e adições decorrentes de atividades de pesquisa e imagem estão em andamento, com novos conteúdos adicionados a cada semana. Ajude-nos a melhorar nossos registros compartilhando suas correções ou sugestões.

Informamos que este banco de dados pode incluir imagens e linguagem original considerados depreciativos, ofensivos ou gráficos, e pode não ser adequado para todos os visualizadores. As imagens, títulos e inscrições são produtos de seu tempo e da perspectiva do criador e são apresentados aqui como documentação, não um reflexo dos valores da Getty. A linguagem e as normas sociais mudam, e a catalogação de uma coleção é um trabalho contínuo em andamento. Encorajamos sua contribuição para melhorar nossa compreensão de nossa coleção.

Todos os esforços foram feitos para determinar com precisão o status dos direitos das obras e suas imagens. Entre em contato com Direitos e Reproduções do Museu se tiver mais informações sobre a situação dos direitos de uma obra contrária ou além das informações em nossos registros.

/> O texto desta página está licenciado sob uma Licença Internacional Creative Commons Atribuição 4.0, a menos que especificado de outra forma. Imagens e outras mídias são excluídas.

O conteúdo desta página está disponível de acordo com as especificações do International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF). Você pode visualizar este objeto no Mirador - um visualizador compatível com o IIIF - clicando no ícone do IIIF abaixo da imagem principal ou arrastando o ícone para uma janela do visualizador do IIIF aberta.


Monumento Corágico de Lisícrates

Ver todas as fotos

Na Grécia Antiga, competições anuais de teatro patrocinadas por choregoi, ricos patronos das artes dramáticas, foram detidos no Teatro de Dionísio. Os corgos que patrocinaram a apresentação vencedora receberam um prêmio, um grande troféu em forma de tripé de bronze. Em 334 aC, Lysicrates recebeu o primeiro desses prêmios e encomendou um monumento para seu troféu.

O monumento fica na Rua Tripidon (Rua dos Tripés), a antiga estrada que ia da entrada da cidade ao teatro, e que já foi ladeada por monumentos corágicos. As fundações dos outros foram descobertas na década de 1980, mas o monumento a Lysicrates é o único que permanece intacto.

O monumento tem base cúbica de mármore e rotunda com meias colunas no estilo coríntio que sustentam uma arquitrave. Acima da arquitrave está o entablamento, contendo frisos representando cenas da jogada vencedora de Lysicrates. Eles mostram Dionísio, o deus grego do palco, derrotando piratas transformando-os em golfinhos. O entablamento sustentava originalmente uma cúpula, agora ausente, que servia de base para três pergaminhos que seguravam o troféu em forma de tripé.

Em 1658, um mosteiro capuchinho francês foi fundado no local e mais tarde conseguiu a compra do monumento. Os monges usaram o monumento como biblioteca e ele sobreviveu ao longo dos anos, em parte graças a isso. O próprio mosteiro tem algumas outras reivindicações de fama. O poeta Lord Byron ficou lá em uma visita à Grécia em 1810 e escreveu seu famoso poema, “The Maid of Athens”. E em 1818, um monge plantou as primeiras plantas de tomate na Grécia ao lado do monumento Lysicrates nos jardins do mosteiro.

O monumento corágico foi danificado e parcialmente enterrado em escombros em 1824 durante a Guerra da Independência da Grécia, quando o mosteiro foi destruído. Foi restaurado com a ajuda do governo francês e agora se ergue orgulhosamente em sua praça homônima.


Renascimento do Monumento Corágico de Lisícrates no Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney

O Monumento Corágico de Lysicrates restaurado, localizado no Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney, está programado para ser inaugurado em 16 de outubro.

O monumento de 148 anos caiu em um estado de desespero ao longo dos anos. No entanto, graças a John e Patricia Azarias que empreenderam uma missão de dois anos para restaurar o tesouro nacional, o monumento teve uma reforma de $ 600.000 com financiamento privado e governamental.

O casal visitava os jardins em 2014 quando o monumento abandonado chamou sua atenção.

& # 8220Os humanos erguem monumentos e pensamos que serão lembrados por meio deles e então as pessoas não os verão mais e se tornarão transparentes. E isso aconteceu com este monumento, & # 8221 Sr. Azarias disse a neoskosmos.com.

O Sr. Azarias explicou que conseguiram atrair doadores de todas as origens.

& # 8220A comunidade grega foi a primeira a responder & # 8230Os doadores vieram de uma ampla variedade de origens - africana, anglo-céltica, chinesa, grega, indiana, italiana, cristã, judia, muçulmana - outro testemunho da vibração e diversidade desta cidade fabulosa. & # 8221

Mas há mais do que apenas o monumento que foi restaurado à comunidade, pois o Sr. e a Sra. Azarias também formaram a Fundação Lysicrates, inspirada no monumento de Atenas que foi erguido em 334 aC pelos choregos Lysicrates em comemoração ao seu triunfo no Teatro de Competição de Dioniso.

A Lysicrates Foundation convida anualmente três dramaturgos para encenar a primeira cena de sua peça e o vencedor recebe US $ 12.500 para ajudar na conclusão de seu trabalho.

& # 8220Em essência, estamos revivendo a Grande Dionísia, & # 8221 Sr. Azarias disse ao neoskosmos.com. & # 8220Todos os membros da platéia vão ao conservatório, recebem uma pequena ficha de cerâmica e assistem a uma peça após a outra. Quando eles saem, há três urnas, uma para cada jogada, e eles colocam a ficha que possuem em uma. A urna com mais é a vencedora. & # 8221

Os dramaturgos selecionados para o Prêmio Lysicrates 2017 serão anunciados no final deste mês e serão apresentados no Conservatório de Música de Sydney em fevereiro.


Monumento Corágico Restaurado de Lisícrates será inaugurado

John Azarias sempre sentiu que a sociedade tinha o dever de promover a criatividade.

Para ele pessoalmente, a oportunidade de fazê-lo se apresentou em maio de 2014, após um passeio fortuito pelos Jardins Botânicos Reais de Sydney & # 8217s, quando, junto com sua esposa, Dra. Patricia Azarias, se encontrou diante do Monumento Corágico de Lysicrates - uma réplica do original, erigido em Atenas em 334 AC por choregos Lysicrates em comemoração ao seu triunfo na competição do Teatro de Dioniso.

Familiarizados com o monumento e seu significado, eles não puderam deixar de notar as más condições do arenito.

& # 8220Os humanos erguem monumentos e pensamos que serão lembrados por meio deles e então as pessoas não os verão mais e se tornarão transparentes. E isso aconteceu com este monumento, & # 8221 Sr. Azarias disse Neos Kosmos.

Foi nesse momento que se inspirou a tomar a iniciativa de restaurar o memorial e, posteriormente, formar a Fundação Lysicrates.

Como diretor executivo de vários conselhos e ex-diplomata, o Sr. Azarias começou a fazer ligações em busca da generosidade das pessoas. Por fazer parte da história da Austrália & # 8217, ele descobriu que as pessoas ficavam muito felizes em apoiar a iniciativa.

& # 8220A comunidade grega foi a primeira a responder & # 8221, ele diz, embora acrescente que não queria depender de apenas um setor da comunidade, reconhecendo-o como um projeto coletivo de Sydney.

& # 8220Os doadores vêm de uma ampla variedade de origens - africana, anglo-céltica, chinesa, grega, indiana, italiana, cristã, judia, muçulmana - outro testemunho da vibração e diversidade desta cidade fabulosa. & # 8221

O monumento, encomendado pela primeira vez pelo premier três vezes de NSW, Sir James Martin, foi inicialmente mantido em sua casa em Potts Point até 1943, quando foi movido para sua posição atual nos jardins.

John com sua esposa Dra. Patricia Azarias.

Dois anos depois de seus esforços começarem, os Azarias tiveram sucesso em sua missão de restaurar o monumento à sua antiga glória por meio do Programa de Pedreiros do governo estadual & # 8217s, que custou $ 600.000 no total e foi possível graças a fundos privados e governamentais.

Mas não é apenas o monumento que eles trouxeram de volta à vida. Em uma tentativa de incentivar e recompensar o talento teatral na Austrália, eles reintroduziram o próprio modelo de teatro da Grande Dionísia com o Prêmio Lysicrates.

Uma reminiscência das três trilogias na Atenas antiga, três dramaturgos pré-selecionados são convidados a representar a primeira cena de sua obra e, ao contrário de outras competições deste calibre, é o público que determina o vencedor - um conceito que não foi implementado em nenhum lugar do mundo por cerca de 2.000 anos.

& # 8220Em essência, estamos revivendo a Grande Dionísia & # 8221 diz o Sr. Azarias. & # 8220Todos os membros da platéia vão ao conservatório, recebem uma pequena ficha de cerâmica e assistem a uma peça após a outra. Quando eles saem, há três urnas, uma para cada jogada, e eles colocam a ficha que possuem em uma. A urna com mais é a vencedora. & # 8221

O dramaturgo não apenas obtém a aprovação do público, mas também recebe $ 12.500 para ajudar na escrita da peça completa.

O prêmio inaugural em 2015 foi concedido pelo Premier de NSW Mike Baird, e em 2016 pelo Ministro Federal das Artes, Mitch Fifield.

Mas a ideia de tirar o poder das mãos do diretor artístico & # 8217s não foi inicialmente vista com bons olhos.

& # 8220Quando fomos visitar a diretora artística do Griffin Theatre para contar a ela sobre nossa ideia, ela disse que éramos loucos, & # 8221 Sr. Azarias admite.

& # 8220O diretor artístico de cada teatro é um porteiro. Todos imploram para que assumam sua peça e aqui estamos indo até ela e dizendo que você dará sua parte ao público. & # 8221

Embora perseverando e fazendo isso, ele diz que a fundação criou uma plataforma alternativa para produtores de teatro e diretores artísticos para ver como o público reage. No futuro, ele espera que o evento se expanda em dois ou três dias e atraia a atenção de todo o mundo.

Junto com a inauguração do monumento neste mês, o livro The Lysicrates Prize 2015: The People & # 8217s Choice será lançado e dramaturgos selecionados serão anunciados para o Prêmio Lysicrates 2017. A apresentação está programada para seguir no Conservatório de Música de Sydney em fevereiro e, na tentativa de atrair pessoas de todos os setores da sociedade, não haverá taxa de inscrição.

& # 8220 Queremos pessoas de todos os códigos postais, de todas as idades e não apenas os suspeitos habituais que normalmente vão ao teatro ou são da cena do teatro, & # 8221 disse o Sr. Azarias.

Para alguns, pode parecer um grande esforço ir, para comemorar uma época na história antiga há muito tempo. Mas para o Sr. Azarias é muito mais do que isso.

& # 8220O monumento faz parte da nossa herança aqui, ele tem 148 anos e não só celebramos nosso passado, mas também promovemos a criatividade australiana, & # 8221 que ele diz ser o objetivo central da fundação & # 8217s.
& # 8220O lema de nossa fundação é que os escribas, pintores e cabeças de ovo variadas são os verdadeiros tesouros de uma sociedade, aqueles que capturam nossas histórias - eles serão lembrados. Nada mais será lembrado no futuro, nada mais. & # 8221


O próprio modelo de um monumento antigo-moderno

Demolition of & # 8220Pennsylvania Bank, 1867, & # 8221 Detalhe da impressão de albúmen por John Moran, fotógrafo. (The Library Company of Philadelphia) The Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, de James Stuart & # 8217s Antiquities of Athens, 1762. (Bibliotecas Smithsonian)

Na década de 1830, você teria pensei as pessoas podem começar a ficar um pouco cansadas de ver até o último arquiteto traduzindo sua cidade para o grego. E eles poderia sim, se não fosse pela maneira de William Strickland de combinar o muito antigo e o muito novo. O mais criativo da geração local de arquitetos / engenheiros não hesitou em mover o jogo alguns degraus. Strickland puxou sua cópia do Stuart's Antiguidades de Atenas, um livro que já existia há setenta anos e que há muito foi usado como fonte por arquitetos, incluindo Benjamin Henry Latrobe, John Haviland e o próprio Strickland.

Mas as apostas eram maiores agora. Strickland enfrentou o desafio de fazer sentido arquitetônico em um lote de construção muito proeminente e de formato estranho definido por Dock, Walnut e Third Streets. E ele se viu trabalhando à sombra da obra-prima de seu mentor, o Banco da Pensilvânia. Este site difícil exigia uma solução de comando - e inovadora. Apertar um templo grego retangular em um lote de construção triangular simplesmente não funcionaria. Strickland precisava encontrar soluções de design que fossem ainda mais ousadas, mas também consideradas com mais cuidado.

E foi o que ele fez. Strickland posicionou na extremidade estreita desta cunha um pórtico semicircular elevado, fazendo com que esta fachada oriental parecesse uma grande entrada em uma praça cívica. (Na realidade, esta é a parte de trás grande e arredondada do edifício. Strickland fez da Third Street a entrada amigável.)

Perspective of Old Stock Exchange at Dock and Walnut Streets, 24 de março de 1915. (PhillyHistory.org)

Aqui, na Filadélfia, a poucos quarteirões da orla ribeirinha da cidade, de frente para o sol da manhã (o mesmo que iluminou a Atenas antiga) estava a obra-prima de Strickland. Ao contrário de seus outros edifícios do Renascimento grego, esta não era uma réplica arrancada das páginas de Antiguidades de Atenas. Aqui estava um outdoor 3-D de recursos gregos servindo à Filadélfia, aqui e agora.

Para a cúpula, que reuniu todo o projeto, Strickland se inspirou na ilustração de Stuart de um monumento de 334 aC ainda em pé nas ruas de Atenas. O Monumento Corágico de Lysicrates foi um pedestal de 21 pés de autocongratulação para um prêmio coral ganho em um concurso de artes cênicas, parte do mesmo festival que produziu os grandes dramas de Ésquilo, Sófocles e Eurípides. Stuart e William Henry Playfair projetaram réplicas literais em Staffordshire e Edimburgo. Aqui na Filadélfia, Strickland tomou grande liberdade com o design - e alcançou resultados bastante americanos.

Ele moveu o “monumento” do nível da rua para o telhado. Ele ampliou para o dobro do tamanho do original, criando uma estrutura gigante de 12 metros de altura e 4,5 metros de diâmetro que define o horizonte. E em vez de interpretar o Monumento Corágico de Lysicrates em pedra por séculos, Strickland o projetou em madeira que ele sabia que poderia durar apenas algumas décadas. (Seria substituído a cada sessenta anos.) Agora, longe da Europa, esse monumento efêmero em escala, arqueologicamente correto e arqueologicamente correto, faria eco ao passado. Mas ainda mais importante, aqui acima da paisagem urbana da Filadélfia de 1830, este marco viveria muito no momento.

Lado leste do Merchant Exchange Building, 2 de novembro de 1960. (PhillyHistory.org)

O Merchants Exchange e, em particular, a torre em sua extremidade leste, se tornaria um elemento essencial em uma nova rede de informação de alta tecnologia. Muito antes de 1837, quando Samuel F.B. Morse patenteou seu telégrafo (e caminho muito antes de qualquer um sonhar com a Internet) europeus e americanos tinham “telégrafos ópticos” capazes de transmitir rapidamente mensagens codificadas a grandes distâncias. Já em 1807, o Congresso dos Estados Unidos havia debatido e eventualmente votado a favor do financiamento de uma longa cadeia de 1.200 milhas de torres de telégrafo óptico conectando Nova York e Nova Orleans - um projeto que caiu no esquecimento. Mas não era rebuscado. Mais de uma década antes, a invenção de Claude Chappe, o "telégrafo visual semáforo", ganhou vida na França como uma conexão de 143 milhas entre Paris e Lille que se tornaria uma rede de mais de 500 torres em toda a Europa, estendendo-se por 3.000 milhas. Em 1799, quando Napoleão Bonaparte chegou ao poder, ele imaginou estender a tecnologia por todo o Canal da Mancha.

Merchants Exchange, voltado para o leste acima da Terceira Rua, durante a construção da 3ª cúpula, em 25/10/1964. (PhillyHistory.org)

Então, quando o arquiteto americano William Thornton imaginou conectar as Américas do Norte e do Sul em 1800, as possibilidades fizeram girar as cabeças niveladas. Em pouco tempo, os empresários americanos em Boston e Nova York tinham suas próprias redes de telégrafo óptico. Na época em que o Merchants Exchange estava em construção, um telégrafo óptico em Boston rastreava remessas, comércio e investimentos em tempo real.

“O tempo e a distância são aniquilados”, tornou-se a proclamação popular, um mantra dos anos 1830.

Nenhuma surpresa, então, que a cúpula do Merchant Exchange bem acima das ruas Dock e Walnut desempenhava uma função tripla: como um poleiro para os funcionários com telescópios identificando os navios que faziam seu caminho de e para o porto da Filadélfia, como um lugar para enviar e receber mensagens piscando de Nova York através das planícies de Nova Jersey, e a mensagem mais duradoura de todas: que a Filadélfia finalmente se destacou como uma versão moderna da Atenas antiga.


Monumento Corágico de Lisícrates - História

Navegar

Nota curatorial

Esta é uma variante altamente incomum do Monumento Corágico. Fouquet não baseou sua reconstrução do modelo em representações do original em Atenas, que foi um monumento erguido em homenagem ao choregos ou o patrocinador teatral Lysicrates. Um drama que ele organizou e pagou, em 335 ou 334 aC, ganhou o primeiro prêmio no festival religioso Dionysia que teve lugar no Teatro de Dionísio, Atenas, em homenagem a esse deus. O prêmio foi um tripé de bronze, que, para comemorar a vitória de Lysicrates, foi montado no pequeno monumento circular com seu nome (334 aC). Em vez disso, Fouquet baseou o modelo na chamada "Lanterna de Demóstenes", uma alta loucura em forma de torre, construída em 1801 por Napoleão I no parque do Château de St Cloud, em Paris, cujas duas seções superiores eram vagamente baseado no monumento clássico. A estrutura circular aberta continha um busto do imperador (reproduzido em miniatura no modelo de Fouquet) e a lanterna seria iluminada para indicar que Napoleão residia no castelo. O Monumento Corágico original de Lysicrates era muito mais curto do que a torre de St. Cloud e a seção central era formada por um tambor oco de alvenaria com colunas coríntias engajadas. Em 1870, como resultado da Guerra Franco-Prussiana, a Lanterna de Demóstenes em St Cloud foi destruída.

Este modelo, junto com o Arco de Adriano (MR74), foi seriamente danificado na Segunda Guerra Mundial, provavelmente quando uma mina terrestre caiu em Lincoln’s Inn Fields na noite de 15 de outubro de 1940, quebrando a caixa de vidro e também o modelo de gesso.

As colunas de gesso estilhaçadas permitem-nos ver a armadura interior de bronze que Fouquet utilizou para reforçar o frágil gesso. Parece que essas hastes de bronze foram posicionadas nos moldes para os eixos das colunas e, em seguida, o gesso líquido foi derramado em torno deles.


Monumento Corágico de Lisícrates revelado

Um dos monumentos históricos mais intrincados de Sydney foi restaurado à sua antiga glória, graças ao trabalho da unidade especialista em pedreiros do governo de NSW, um grupo de filantropos de Sydney e o Royal Botanic Garden.

O Monumento Corágico de Lysicrates, localizado no Royal Botanic Gardens, é uma réplica de 1870 de um antigo monumento grego datado de 334 AC.

O Ministro das Finanças, Serviços e Propriedade, Dominic Perrottet, revelou hoje o monumento, que foi restaurado em parte graças a um investimento de $ 200.000 como parte do Programa de Construção em Pedra do Ministro & # 8217s.

& # 8220O monumento Lysicrates representa a rica história e herança cultural que moldou nossa cidade, nosso estado e nossa nação, e simplesmente devemos preservar essa história para as gerações futuras & # 8221, disse Perrottet.

& # 8220 No início deste ano, o governo comprometeu mais US $ 2 milhões em financiamento para nossos pedreiros especializados para restaurar e preservar nossos ícones de patrimônio, e fiquei satisfeito por poder incluir a preservação deste monumento como parte do programa. & # 8221

Pedreiros trabalhando em Yellowblock.

Além de suas ligações com a Grécia antiga, o monumento de Sydney tem um significado histórico local considerável. Foi encomendado em 1868 pelo Premier James Martin (em homenagem a Martin Place) e é esculpido em arenito icônico de Sydney & # 8217s Yellowblock.

Originalmente localizado no jardim Martin & # 8217s Potts Point, o monumento foi salvo da demolição em 1943 e transferido para o Royal Botanical Gardens pelo então premier William McKell, após uma campanha do jornalista do Sydney Morning Herald Fritz Burnell.

Em 2014, um grupo de filantropos de Sydney notou que a chuva e os ventos erodiram o arenito macio e dourado do monumento. O grupo formou a Fundação Lysicrates, que trabalhou em estreita colaboração com o Programa de Trabalho em Pedra do Ministro & # 8217s e o Royal Botanic Gardens para restaurar o monumento.

A manutenção contínua do monumento terá o apoio da Fundação Lysicrates e do Royal Botanic Gardens. A Fundação Lysicrates também fundou um concurso anual de redação de peças teatrais na tradição teatral grega como parte de seu trabalho para promover as artes visuais e performáticas na Austrália.


Conservação (construída) e Monumento Chorégico # 8211

O Choregic Monument of Lysicrates está localizado no Royal Botanic Gardens, próximo ao quebra-mar de Farm Cove. O monumento é uma cópia do original, erguido em Atenas em 334 AC. O projeto incluiu pesquisa, avaliação de condições, dessalinização, recravação e estabilização de superfície. A instigação e o envolvimento da comunidade foram uma parte importante deste projeto.

O Monumento Corégico é significativo pela sua forma, material, artesanato e associações históricas. O monumento está listado no National Trust Register, na cidade de Sydney LEP e é um item localizado dentro de uma área de conservação. Acredita-se que o monumento original na Grécia seja o primeiro uso externo da ordem coríntia e está incluído nos livros de história da arquitetura para demonstrar a composição da capital coríntia. A cópia de Sydney, datada de 1870, permite que acadêmicos, alunos e a comunidade tenham acesso a uma réplica de proporções fiéis para estudar e se divertir.

O monumento demonstra as habilidades de espeleologia e copista de alta qualidade do pedreiro Walter McGill, conhecido por também esculpir as gloriosas capitais coríntias do Museu Australiano. O Monumento é significativo por sua associação com o ex-premiê de NSW, Sir James Martin, como em Martin Place, que encomendou o trabalho para seu jardim em Potts Point em 1870. O Monumento foi transferido para o Royal Botanic Gardens em 1943.

Instigação do Projeto:
Em 2014, cidadãos particulares, Patricia e John Azarias, observaram que o Monumento Corágico precisava de cuidados durante um passeio no Royal Botanic Gardens em Sydney. Eles criaram a Fundação Lysicrates para arrecadar fundos de doadores privados e o Programa de Trabalho em Pedra do Ministro do Governo do Estado (MSP) igualou os fundos dólar por dólar. Esta é a primeira parceria privada / pública que o MSP realiza. O custo total do projeto foi de US $ 450.000.

Abordagem de conservação:
Com o financiamento de doadores privados, vieram ideias preconcebidas de ‘restauração’ e expectativas de que o monumento parecesse limpo e melhorado. A equipe MSP trabalhou em estreita colaboração com os doadores para oferecer uma estrutura para a tomada de decisões de conservação para o Monumento com base nos princípios orientadores da Carta de Burra. Um grande desafio deste projeto foi decidir sobre o nível de substituição de pedra dada a condição existente e a exposição contínua a condições ambientais adversas. Questões de significância com base na forma (ordem coríntia) foram avaliadas de perto quanto à autenticidade.

Na hierarquia de elementos significativos dentro do Monumento, o friso é altamente significativo, pois as esculturas contam a história do deus grego Dionísio lutando contra piratas que se transformam em golfinhos quando lançados na água. O friso é construído com 3 pedras, cada uma contando um terço da história. A equipe optou por re-esculpir uma das três pedras (face sudoeste) devido ao seu avançado estado de decomposição. A superfície desta pedra perdeu todos os detalhes reconhecíveis, como mostrado nas fotos anexas. Embora as duas pedras restantes estejam em uma condição razoavelmente intemperizada, a taxa de deterioração foi diminuída pela dessalinização e reposicionamento das áreas superiores para evitar a entrada de água. O objetivo principal do projeto era reter o máximo possível do arenito original enquanto estabilizava e protegia o monumento como um todo para garantir que a importância do item fosse mantida para a próxima geração.

Pesquisa e documentação:
Desenhos medidos foram preparados mapeando a condição da pedra para fornecer um registro no futuro e para comparar a condição com os registros preparados pelo Programa de Pedra 20 anos atrás. A fotografia profissional de arquivo foi contratada para registrar o Monumento antes, durante e depois das obras. O processo de reescultura exigiu que os pedreiros pesquisassem diferenças de escala e estilo entre o monumento original e a versão de Sydney. Um documento-chave referido para re-esculpir uma das pedras do friso mede os desenhos do original de "As Antiguidades de Atenas", de Stuart e Revett, publicado em 1748.

Envolvimento do projeto e legado:
Em resumo, nenhum outro monumento público em NSW atende a tamanha diversidade de interesses da comunidade. Os trabalhos de conservação têm sido um catalisador para muitos grandes e duradouros eventos comunitários e atividades criativas, principalmente devido à paixão pelos instigadores de projetos Patricia e John Ararias.

The Lysicrates Foundation & # 8211 Dr Patricia Azarias e John Azarius inspiraram-se na Lysicrates Foundation para angariar fundos privados para contribuir para a conservação do Monumento Corégico. Uma vez conseguido isso, a Fundação instituiu o Prêmio Lysicrates, o equivalente ao Prêmio Archibald para dramaturgos, em associação com o Teatro Griffin.

Comunidade grega - por meio da conexão do Monumento com o 334B.C. original Monumento corégico em Atenas. John Azarias, foi entrevistado na rádio grega sobre o projeto de conservação e o Prêmio de Teatro Lysicrates.

Comunidade jurídica - James Martin encomendou o Monumento f em 1870. A conservação do monumento atraiu o interesse da comunidade jurídica em homenagear Martin por sua conquista como primeiro premiê e presidente de justiça da Austrália. Uma Oração Inaugural Martin foi estabelecida pela Fundação Lysicrates e dada pelo Exmo. T.F.Bathurst AC, Chefe de Justiça de NSW em 25 de novembro de 2016 (livreto comemorativo em anexo).

Comunidade de teatro & # 8211 O Prêmio Lysicrates foi criado em 2015 e é um prêmio anual de teatro, o Prêmio Archibald de Dramaturgia, inspirado no antigo monumento grego, erguido em 334 AC. em Atenas para comemorar a vitória do patrocinador, Lysicrates, no concurso de teatro da Grande Dionísia daquele ano.
Este evento de Sydney atrai pelo menos 500 pessoas ao Monumento todos os anos, pois fornece o cenário para o anúncio do vencedor. Artigo da Financial Review, 3 de fevereiro de 2017 (em anexo) e entrevista com amp na rádio Eastside 89.7FM http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/arts-and-entertainment/theatre-and-dance/sydney-philanthropists-create-the-lysicrates -prize-20170131-gu2c75

A Byron Society & # 8211 o monumento original tem uma ligação significativa com Lord Byron, que escreveu poesia dentro do monumento enquanto esteve em Atenas no século XIX. A Australian Byron Society realizou reuniões no Jardim Botânico do Monumento para celebrar o aniversário de Byron.

Conservação da Pedra - O lançamento da conclusão da conservação da obra foi destaque no jornal ABC.

Publicado em 16 de outubro de 2016. A educação sobre o significado do item e as obras de conservação foi um aspecto importante do projeto.

Uma música & # 8216The Ballad of Martin and Lysicrates & # 8217 - escrita pela esposa do governador de NSW, Sra. Hurley e cantada pela Sra. Hurley na inauguração pública da conclusão das obras de conservação no Jardim Botânico em outubro de 2016.

Trabalhou no projeto:
Programa de trabalho em pedra do ministro e # 8217s, Departamento de Finanças, Serviço e Inovação

O que os juízes disseram:

& # 8220Trabalho fantástico do Programa de Trabalho em Pedra do Ministro em uma réplica de um monumento grego de 334 aC no Jardim Botânico envolvendo investigação, dessalinização, recarga e estabilização. & # 8221


Arquitetura Europeia e Americana (1750–1900)

Esta lição cobre um dos mais empolgantes períodos de 150 anos na arquitetura, 1750–1900. Mudanças sísmicas ocorreram nas áreas de:

Estilo de vida: Durante esses anos, muitas pessoas mudaram-se do campo para a cidade. A Inglaterra alcançou um equilíbrio de 50/50 por volta de 1850. O equilíbrio da América ocorreu por volta da década de 1920. Essa industrialização ocasionou a criação de novos tipos de edifícios.

Governo: Durante o final do século XVIII, o mundo ocidental experimentou duas revoluções massivas - a Revolução Americana e a Revolução Francesa. Monarquias declinaram de poder e governos democráticos foram criados.

Patrocínio: O patrocínio religioso e aristocrático deu lugar a mais comissões por governos democráticos e indivíduos ricos que se fizeram sozinhos.

Tecnologia: Avanços foram feitos em materiais de construção, transporte e maquinário. Materiais tradicionais como tijolo e pedra foram substituídos por metais ferrosos (ferro e aço) e vidro.

Arquitetos e designers tentaram mitigar seu treinamento com as demandas da vida moderna - evidenciadas não apenas - na própria arquitetura, mas também em textos arquitetônicos, design de interiores, escavações e design urbano, alguns dos quais serão abordados nesta palestra. Os avanços nessas categorias colocaram a profissão de construção de forma irrevogável no caminho em direção à arquitetura moderna do século XX.

O ponto de partida desta lição pressupõe que os alunos conheçam as tendências da arquitetura barroca e rococó, mas faz sentido começar com uma revisão:

Mostre à sua turma um slide contendo imagens de obras icônicas da arquitetura barroca e rococó. Eu gosto de usar borromini San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Roma, 1638-1641) como o exemplo barroco e Germain Boffrand e Charles-Joseph Natoire Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise (Paris, 1736-179) como o exemplo Rococó.

Comece a revisão com alguns destes prompts:

  • Descreva as características formais da arquitetura barroca e rococó.
  • Quem eram os clientes?
  • Descreva as ideologias e valores dominantes das culturas que produziram essas obras.
  • Para quais fontes eles procuraram?

Vocês, alunos, podem se surpreender ao saber que as qualidades extravagantes da arquitetura barroca e rococó que aprenderam a reconhecer e apreciar em palestras anteriores foram criticadas em meados do século XVIII por seus abusos de liberdade percebidos - combinando elementos clássicos de maneiras não ortodoxas - e invenção, como a criação de novas capitais. Olhar para essas obras do ponto de vista da segunda metade do século XVIII serve ao duplo propósito de atuar como a passagem da última palestra para esta e também de definir o cenário arquitetônico para a palestra atual.

O San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane de Francesco Borromini (1599-1667) é um exemplo de um edifício barroco que - para as mentes de meados do século XVIII - incorporou muita invenção. Construída para a ordem espanhola dos trinitários descalços, a planta baixa de Borromini indica que o espaço interior da igreja era baseado na geometria (triângulos equiláteros, círculos e um oval). The underlying geometry becomes lost among the aspects that mesmerize viewers: the undulating walls, irregularly spaced columns, frequent wall openings, and ornament—all showcasing the freedom with which Borromini used and altered Classical elements—a significant example being the volutes of the composite capitals, some of which curve upwards instead of the traditional down. The sculptural quality of the interior is reflected in the church’s exterior. The façade swells out and in, and areas between columns are filled with niches and sculpture.

Moving forward a hundred years to the Rococo, your students will likely be familiar with Germain Boffrand and Charles-Joseph Natoire’s Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise. An oval room on the upper-level, this salon was used by a princess of the Rohan-Soubise dynasty for entertaining. The walls dematerialize, punctuated by windows, doors, and large mirrors. Extensive amounts of gilt ornamentation cover the walls and frames openings.

Themes to stress throughout the lecture include progresso, building type, materiais e tecnologia.

Background Readings

Henry Flitcroft, The Temple of Apollo, Stourhead, 1765 (Wiltshire, England).

One of the best sources is Leland Roth’s Understanding Architecture: Its Elements, History, and Meaning, second edition (Westview Press, 2007). If you are looking for information on European architecture see Barry Bergdoll’s European Architecture 1750–1890 (Oxford University Press, 2000) and Sir John Summerson’s The Classical Language of Architecture, twentieth printing (MIT Press, 2001). For an explanation of materials, see Harley J. McKee’s Introduction to Early American Masonry (National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1973). This book provides an excellent overview of the tools used to prepare building materials and terminology.

For British Architecture, see Sir John Summerson’s Architecture in Britain 1530–1830, ninth edition (Yale University Press, 1993).

For American architectural history, I recommend a series of survey texts as well as sources that are more focused upon specific artists or structures. Leland Roth’s A Concise History of American Architecture (Harper & Row, Publishers, 1979) provides a standard chronological progression through North American architectural movements. Dell Upton’s Architecture in the United States (Oxford University Press, 1998) is divided into chapters that address American architecture through the lenses of community, nature, technology, money and art.

For Stourhead see their webpage on the United Kingdom’s national trust site.

For the United States Capitol building, see James D. and Georgiana W. Kornwolf’s Architecture and Town Planning in Colonial North America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002)—a wonderful text about colonial and early American architecture. Also see Henry Russell Hitchcock and William Seale’s Temples of Democracy: The State Capitols of the U.S.A. (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1976).

For Schinkel’s Altes Museum, see Steven Moyano, “Quality vs. History: Schinkel’s Altes Museum and Prussian Arts Policy,” The Art Bulletin Vol. 72, No. 4 (December, 1990), 585–608 James J. Sheehan, Museums in the German Art World: From the End of the Old Regime to the Rise of Modernism (Oxford University Press, 2000) Karl Friedrich Schinkel, 1781–1841: The Drama of Architecture (Art Institute of Chicago, 1994).

For the Gothic Revival, I am indebted to Chris Brooks’ The Gothic Revival (Phaidon, 1999) and Michael J. Lewis’ The Gothic Revival (Thames & Hudson, 2002).

For the Grammar of Ornament see Carole A Hrvol Flores’ Owen Jones: Design, Ornament, Architecture, and Theory in an Age of Transition (Rizzoli, 2006) John Kresten Jespersen, “Originality and Jones,” The Grammar of Ornament of 1856,” Journal of Design History Vol. 21, No. 2 (Summer 2008), 143–53 and Stacey Sloboda’s “The Grammar of Ornament: Cosmopolitanism and Reform in British Design.” Journal of Design History Vol. 21, No. 3 (Autumn, 2008), 223–36.

For the Skyscraper, I recommend Sarah Bradford Landau and Carl W. Condit’s Rise of the New York Skyscraper, 1865–1913 (Yale University Press, 1996) and Winston Weisman’s “A New View of Skyscraper History” in Rise of an American Architecture. (Metropolitan Museum of Art by Praeger Publishers, 1970).

For Aesthetic Movement architecture, see Andrew Saint’s Richard Norman Shaw (Yale University Press, 2010) Jeffrey Karl Ochsner and Thomas C. Hubka, “H. H. Richardson: The Design of the William Watts Sherman House,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 51, No. 2 (June, 1992), 121–45 James F. O’Gorman’s “A Touch of Nash: The Williams Watts Sherman House and the Aesthetic Movement.” Século dezenove Vol. 19, No. 1 (1999), 53–9 and In Pursuit of Beauty: Americans and the Aesthetic Movement (Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1986).

For Ecole des Beaux Arts architecture see Christopher Mead, “Urban Contingency and the Problem of Representation in Second Empire Paris,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians Vol. 54, No. 2 (June, 1995), 138–74.

Content Suggestions

The layout of this lecture is designed to underscore the international and intercontinental spread of architectural ideas. In most instances, I give two examples to illustrate a particular stylistic movement—one European and one American. Optional works are indented underneath to supplement certain topics. I have also included asides about materials and other topics, which can be useful.

In an hour and fifteen minutes, you should be able to cover the following works of architecture:

  • Francesco Borromini, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Rome, 1638–41)
  • Germain Boffrand and Chalres-Joseph Natoire, Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise (Paris, 1736–9)

Second Half of the Eighteenth Century:

  • Marc-Antoine Laugier, Essai sur l’architecture (Paris, 1755 first edition 1753)
  • James Stuart and Nicholas Revett, The Antiquities of Athens: Measured and Delineated (London, 1762–95)
    • Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, c. 334 BCE
    • Claude Lorrain, Coast View of Delos with Aeneas (1672)
    • Henry Flitcroft, Pantheon (constructed between 1753-54)
    • Henry Flitcroft, Temple of Apollo (constructed in 1765)
    • Henry Flitcroft, King Alfred’s Tower (designed 1765, constructed between 1769–72)
    • Bristol Cross (a monument from the fifteenth–seventeenth centuries was moved in 1765 from its original Bristol location to Hoare’s park)

    Século dezenove

    • Karl Friedrich Schinkel, Altes Museum (Berlin, 1823–30)
      • William Strickland, Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, 1845–59)
      • Richard Upjohn, Trinity Church (New York City, 1839–46)
      • William LeBaron Jenney, Home Insurance Building, (Chicago, c. 1885)
      • McKim, Mead, and White, American Safe Deposit Company Building, (New York City, 1882–4).
      • H. Richardson, William Watts Sherman House (Newport, Rhode Island, 1874–6)
      • World’s Columbian Exposition (Chicago, 1891–3)

      Begun in the second half of the eighteenth century and lasting through the early nineteenth century, the Enlightenment did much to affect the path of architecture. Though not a single unified movement, it was founded on the belief in progress and in the power of reason. Recent achievements in science encouraged the notion that, through the acquisition of knowledge and the application of reason social, intellectual, and moral reforms could be affected. The impact of the Enlightenment on the arts took various forms. Some artists paid homage to science, others studied the classical past. The later impacts architecture more acutely.

      By 1750, there was a growing discontent with the gaudy Baroque and Rococo architecture highlighted above. It came under fire for being dishonest, meaning that its sculptural, undulating walls and overzealous ornamentation deceptively hid the building’s supporting construction. Critics thought that these features placed the emphasis in the wrong places and architecture required a much needed return to its primitive origins. This viewpoint was demonstrated in the frontispiece of the second edition of Essai sur l’architecture by Jesuit priest and amateur aesthetician Marc-Antoine Laugier (1713–69).

      The engraved frontispiece of Essai sur l’architecture depicts a classical female figure as the Muse of Architecture, holding a compass, a right angle and reclining on an entablature. The image also includes the Scamozzi Ionic capital (Scamozzi Ionic capitals flare out at the corners when the two sides come together). This Muse directs an infant to a primitive hut, humanity’s first built structure that represents pure, honest architecture. Built of wood—both living trees and cut—the space was created using a limited number of elements: posts (the verticals), lintels or beams (the horizontals), and gabled roof. All of these elements are not decorated.

      This image served as a rallying point to galvanize people to return to a perceivably purer architecture. It should be stated here that Laugier and his supporters did not feel that the only structures that should be built were primitive wooden huts. Instead, they promoted the idea that if a historical source was emulated, it should be from a culture that practiced pure architecture. The older the civilization, the purer architecture they created. Using this logic, Greek architecture was superior to Roman, as Greek civilization was older.

      One publication that did the most to spread an awareness of Greek architecture was The Antiquities of Athens: Measured and Delineated by English architects and antiquarians James Stuart and Nicholas Revett. Conceived during the Enlightenment, when there was interest in ancient cultures, the work was subsidized and published by the Society of Dilettanti (an English group of men who had all partook in the Grand Tour. Sir Joshua Reynolds was a member of the group who painted several portraits of its members). This text is noteworthy for containing the first meticulously measured drawings of ancient Greek architecture, giving the Western world access to their natural architectural perfection. To make the text as accurate as possible, Stuart and Revett spent four years (1751–5) documenting architectural monuments in and around Athens before returning to England to begin the publishing process. Although it was intended to be the first text of its kind, the drawn out publishing process allowed for a Frenchman, Julien-David Le Roy to produce Les Ruines des plus beaux monuments de la Grèce (Paris, 1758) five years before the first volume of The Antiquities of Athens apareceu. Despite publication delays, and then its gradual release, The Antiquities of Athens’ influence was international and it became a manual (historian James F. O’Gorman uses the word “Bible”) for the “Greek Revival” across Europe as well as in North America, c. 1810s–1840s.

      An illustration from Volume One of the text depicts the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates. Located near the acropolis, this monument was erected around 334 BCE to commemorate an athletic or choral victory. This circular structure is thirteen feet high, made of marble, and around the exterior are six engaged Corinthian columns—some of the earliest of that type. Now lost is a tripod trophy that at one point surmounted the monument.

      A visual and ideological counterpoint to the pursuit of a more pure architectural source is the picturesque landscape garden Stourhead located in Wiltshire, England, the vision of banker Sir Henry Hoare. Designed over decades, Stourhead’s vistas were completely constructed—earth was moved, a lake was formed by damming a local river, and flora was planted. Hoare aimed to make mimic the painted landscapes found in the paintings of French Baroque painters Claude Lorrain and Nicholas Poussin. Indeed, Hoare had collected Lorrain’s Coast View of Delos with Aeneas (1672), which influenced the designs. For example, the garden included bridges and a building with a dome, imitating the Pantheon in Rome, motifs found in Lorrain’s paintings. The winding path through the garden began and ended at the house, leading one around the irregular lake that forms the garden’s centerpiece. Along the way, one was supposed to stop at certain points to admire views and pavilions constructed in differing architectural styles.

      Palladian architect Henry Flitcroft was commissioned to construct several pavilions for Stourhead: the aforementioned Pantheon (constructed between 1753–4), the Temple of Apollo (constructed in 1765), and the triangular 160-foot brick structure King Alfred’s Tower (designed 1765, constructed between 1769-72)—the top of which can be reach through an internal spiral staircase. In 1765, the Bristol Cross was moved from its original Bristol location to Hoare’s park. Over the centuries there has been debate among historians as to how the Virgilian inscriptions on the pavilions should be interpreted, and how that affects in the viewer’s experience in the garden.

      Politically, the full embodiment of Enlightenment ideals was reached during the American and French Revolutions that took place at the end of the eighteenth century and the early part of the nineteenth century. o United States Capitol (c. 1793–1828, 1851–7, and 1856–63) in Washington D.C. became a beacon to Enlightenment ideas, adhering to the Classical spirit in its architecture’s revolutionary Neoclassical style. The federal building was envisioned as a seventeen-room brick building that would house the legislative branch of government.

      The fact that the U.S. Capitol was originally envisioned as a brick building may come as a surprise for students, who by this time are used to seeing European architecture constructed of fine stone. At the turn of the nineteenth century, American architects and builders were still uncomfortable and quite untrained in using this material. The lack of confidence architects and builders had for building stone was balanced by their assurance in using brick. Brick’s flexible recipe, permanence, and skill requirement allowed it to used across American in building construction. On the eastern seaboard, it was a material that that been in use since 1618 (the first brick building was the Fourth Jamestown Church—Jamestown was founded in 1607).

      As time progressed, other functions were added to the Capitol, such as Washington’s tomb and setting aside a space for the Supreme Court. In initial submissions, American gentlemen architects/builders failed to create adequate elegant and monumental forms that would define the nation’s new building type. President Washington called them ‘dull.’ Ultimately, the chosen design was a synthesis of competition submissions, which had referenced many aspects of other state houses, namely: a portico, a dome, a central public space, and the two houses opposite one another.

      Despite having many different creators (William Thornton, B. H. Latrobe, Charles Bulfinch and Thomas U. Walter—who were a mixture of professional and gentlemen architects), the Capitol’s various parts are united in the Neoclassical style, with the focal point being Walter’s dome (1856–63), modeled after the Pantheon. Construction of the Capitol pushed American builders out of their material comfort zones. Originally proposed as a brick structure, it was decided that ashlar masonry should be used for the exterior. For the vaulting, Thomas Jefferson wanted to use wood, but Latrobe pushed for masonry. Decades later, builders were pushed to their technological limits using a new material—iron, both cast and wrought—to create the Capitol’s famous dome.

      Nineteenth century architecture is memorable for its quick succession of historical revival styles, including the Greek Revival, the Gothic Revival, and the Queen Anne Style (a.k.a. the Aesthetic Movement), as well as introducing some major architectural publications and new building types. I hope to give a sense of the complexity of the nineteenth century architectural situation by highlighting select architectural examples, architectural texts, and new building types.

      The Greek Revival

      The facade of Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s Altes Museum in Berlin is a prime example of Greek Revival architecture. The museum is a large box with eighteen fluted Ionic columns in front, surmounted by a smaller box. The building’s sheer breadth—it takes up almost the whole width of the northern end of the Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden)—and its façade, distilled to vertical and strong horizontal elements (arches are a feature synonymous with Roman architecture), are the more primitive/pure Greek architectural characteristics to which Schinkel alluded. The most direct visual source would be the Athenian stoa poikile, the ancient covered colonnade in the agora.

      This building did much to revitalize the heart of the city. First, by placing the museum at the north end of the Pleasure Garden, Schinkel inevitably elevated the art museum’s position in society because it took its place among three other important buildings: the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, and the Arsenal. Second, Schinkel carefully controlled the viewing experience of this building. Around 1830, one approached the Altes Museum from Berlin’s main boulevard Unter den Linden (“Under the Linden Trees”—the boulevard was lined with them). Down the street, the Royal Palace anchors the viewer’s vista. As one approached the palace the trees would frame a view of the Cathedral. Upon crossing the bridge and entering the southern end of the Pleasure Garden, the view of the Altes Museum would finally be visible.

      Internally, Schinkel forcefully argued for the rotunda, a space he felt would prepare visitors to experience the building and view works of art.

      Schinkel’s Altes Museum façade conveyed his understanding of the principles underlying the pure linear forms of Greek architecture. Other architects opted for a more direct quotation of Greek architecture.

      In the United States, a fine example of Greek Revival architecture is William Strickland’s Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, 1845–9). Well-trained (Strickland was trained by B. Henry Latrobe, whom we met above with the U.S. Capitol) and well-traveled (Strickland went to Europe in 1838, traveling through England, France, Italy and Germany. Images from his European sketchbook have been made available online at the Tennessee Virtual Archive “William Strickland Sketchbook”.), Strickland demonstrated his broad working knowledge of historic architectural sources in the Tennessee State Capitol.

      In the Capitol, Strickland referenced a different order (Doric, Ionic, Corinthian) in each main section of the building. Working from the ground upwards, the Capitol had a Doric basement, Ionic porticos, and a Corinthian tower. The Erechtheum (the Acropolis, Athens, Greece) inspired the Ionic porticos, and Strickland used plates of the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates found in The Antiquities of Athens as inspiration for the lantern for his building. Strickland modified the forms of the ancient original with windows to suit modern needs.

      The Gothic Revival

      The Gothic Revival began in Britain and spread internationally and across continents. Arguably the greatest monument to the Gothic Revival is the New Palace of Westminster, better known as the Houses of Parliament (London, 1835–68).

      The Old Palace of Westminster was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1834. On August 18, 1835, a Royal Commission was issued to rebuild the Palace and debate ensued over its appropriate style. Two main camps emerged: Neoclassical versus Gothic. Those in favor of the Neoclassical style supplied evidence such as the style’s popularity and its successful track record in high profile public commissions, such as the United States Capitol. Those who felt that the Gothic would be more appropriate supported their case with the following concepts that would be best articulated by A.W.N. Pugin, in his books Contrastes (1836) and True Principles of Pointed or Christian Architecture (1841):

      • Harmony/Fitness: It was believed that there exists a connection between culture and architectural expression. The Gothic style surfaced during the medieval ages. The architecture produced was viewed as being perfectly in harmony to its needs. During the Gothic Revival, it was hoped that if buildings were constructed in that earlier style that it might resurrect some of the sentiments and the harmony perceived as missing from modern society.
      • Nationalism/Patriotism: At this time it was believed that each culture creates its own distinct style that suits its culture and climate. In the nineteenth century, Gothic architecture was perceived as being an indigenous English style, it would be only natural to draw upon England’s own architectural heritage and not an imported style from the southern European continent. Neoclassical architectural style would further be unsuited to England as it is an architecture produced for its milder Mediterranean climate and would be unsuited to the weather conditions of the north.
      • Function/Honesty: Gothic architecture was viewed as being an honest form of architecture, in which everything included contributed to its construction. Gothic ornament was judiciously placed to enrich and accent structural lines.

      In the end it was decided that architects submit designs in either the Gothic or Elizabethan style. Architect Charles Barry (1795–1860), best known for his classical and Italianate designs, submitted the winning design. Because of his more classical specialty, he employed the talents of A.W.N. Pugin, the vociferous Gothic revivalist mentioned above. The workload between the two men was neatly divided, Barry designed space and structure and Pugin designed the ornament and the interiors.

      Barry’s design was successful for multiple reasons. First, the Houses of Parliament was built on the site of the Old Palace of Westminster and successfully integrated the surviving structures (Westminster Hall and St. Stephen’s Chapel) into the new building complex. Second, Barry created a harmonious—though slightly asymmetrical picturesque—exterior by balancing the horizontal and vertical lines.

      The exterior’s recognizable sand-colored limestone came from Anston Quarry in Yorkshire. This particular stone was selected for its cost effectiveness and because it is a sedimentary rock, it could be easily manipulated. In the twentieth century, parts of the building in which the stone had eroded significantly were replaced with a honey-colored limestone from Medwells Quarry in Rutland.

      Third, Barry’s classical training strongly influenced his logical arrangement of rooms and courtyards, which he based around the classical system of repeating modules. This can best be appreciated by viewing a floorplan of the structure. Four branches of the building radiate out in the cardinal directions: north, south, east and west from a centrally located octagonal lobby. Barry placed the Throne room (located in the House of Lords), the House of Lords, and the House of Commons in line with one another, a subtle underscoring of the line of power in the English government. Pugin designs for the interiors included furniture, tiles, stained glass, and metal work. His most sumptuous decoration appears in the House of Lords, where seemingly every square inch is encrusted with medieval-inspired decoration.

      Switching to the United States, architects such as Richard Upjohn’s used Pugin’s books as a manual to design Gothic Revival buildings like Trinity Church (New York City, NY, 1839–46). Trinity Church was one of the most noteworthy commissions executed in America in the Gothic Revival style. In Trinity Church, one sees a shift occurring in American taste from the Classically inspired to the Gothic and Picturesque. Trinity Church espoused the ideals from leaders of the English Gothic Revival, and Upjohn based its design on an illustration of an “ideal church” from Pugin’s True Principles. Upjohn tweaked several aspects of Pugin’s design to accommodate American building methods and the site such as the vaulting, the pitch of the roof, and the chancel. Longitudinal in plan and made of brownstone masonry, the church was not as elaborately decorated as it could have been.

      The Grammar of Ornament

      Owen Jones’ Grammar of Ornament (London, 1856) is a design manual that has inspired countless generations of architects and designers. Conceived during era of English design reform, the Grammar of Ornament became Jones’ aesthetic treatise. o Grammar of Ornament contains Jones’ 37 propositions (principles) of design, nineteen chapters dedicated to historical types of ornament, and a single chapter dedicated to the common denominator behind all ornament—nature appeared in 100 chromolithographed plates, in which there were 1,000 cropped illustrations ornament, which removed any hint of an original context.

      The quality of the lithographic plates is one factor that made the Grammar of Ornament famous. The content of the Grammar of Ornament appealed to architects, designers, and reform design thinkers, as John Kresten Jespersen writes, “for a century (after its publication), almost every architect’s office had a copy of the Grammar of Ornament. ” The intent of this publication was not to give architects, ornamentalists and designers a template from which to copy in their work, rather to allow individuals to absorb lessons from the past and apply this information to the ornament that would suit modern life.

      The Skyscraper

      The skyscraper is an American invention. Created in the second half of the nineteenth century and refined throughout the rest of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, skyscrapers—from the very beginning—have been symbols of commerce and prestige. The skyscraper is the first instance where the architectural story begins in America and then spread overseas. Scholars agree that a skyscraper must contain three features:

      • Significant Height: (more vertical than horizontal) This building type was created to suit the need for increased building space in major urban areas, the two most important of which were New York City and Chicago. The scarcity and the cost of land in these and other urban areas forced architects to build in only one direction—upwards.
      • Passenger Elevators: As human beings are usually opposed to walk up more that five flights of stairs, the incorporation of passenger elevators were a blessing. Elevators made each and every floor just as easily accessible and rentable, enabling building to be higher.
      • Metal Frame: Iron’s popularity increased in the middle of the nineteenth century as architects discovered its potential in building construction. Iron was used two ways in architecture: cast and wrought. Cast iron was a strong metal, capable of carrying great weights by compression. Major flaws of cast iron included its brittleness in terms of ductility as well as the irregularity of its compositional makeup. Wrought iron was not as strong as cast iron, but had an advantage in that it could assume any number of shapes. The combination of cast iron posts and more extensive wrought beams revolutionized the way in which architects envisioned structure and space.

      In short, iron allowed architects to build taller and span wider distances than ever before. In other words, advancements made in skyscraper height are closely tied to advancements in building technologies that supported them. Beginning in the 1880s, the more expensive and specialized product, steel began to replace iron as the preferred structural building material (as it contained the same/or increased strength of cast iron and the ductility of wrought iron). In the 1880’s, the first architects made the switch from iron to steel.

      The earliest example of a skyscraper may surprise you. Noted authorities Weisman and Condit concur that Gilman, Kendall & Post’s Equitable Life Assurance Company Building (New York City, 1868–70 destroyed) is the first skyscraper, since it was the first building that was designed and built containing all three of the aforementioned skyscraper features. Our twenty-first-century eyes, accustomed to seeing skyscrapers as enormous structures built of a curtain of metal and glass, would likely not recognize Equitable Life Assurance Company Building as an early descendant. This lost structure (for which no plans survive) is known only through images and building records. At 130 feet in height, this building was not significantly taller than surrounding commercial buildings. Yet, the conscious incorporation of the elevator transformed commercial architecture, as it allowed all eight stories to be easily reached, and therefore easily rentable.

      Architects cloaked the Equitable’s iron skeleton in the only way they knew how: with a grey-granite masonry, arranged with tiers—separated by entablatures—and capped with a hipped roof. In images the structure has a very Second Empire appearance, a style believed to be chosen for its ability, given Haussmann’s opulent Paris, to signify stability and prosperity. From the very beginning, skyscrapers served as office buildings. Throughout the later nineteenth century architects worked to give a characteristic facade to the skyscraper. Two major trends emerged: “wild work” and the Italian Renaissance palace, which can easily be illustrated with noteworthy period examples.

      In Chicago, William LeBaron Jenney’s Home Insurance Building, c. 1885 is an example of “wild work.” “Wild work” was a descriptor used by eminent late-nineteenth century architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler to refer to facades like this one. What Schuyler found wild, or mind-boggling, about this building was the ways in which the horizontal and vertical lines were constantly interrupted. The Home Insurance Building is also noteworthy as it was the first building to use steel construction.

      In New York City, the firm of McKim, Mead, and White gravitated towards a three-part skyscraper façade, evident in the American Safe Deposit Company Building, (1882–4). This building’s three parts (basement, shaft, and third tier of space at the top) are neatly defined. Three-part façade divisions like this inspired critic Montgomery Schuyler (who we just met above) in 1899 to liken such surfaces to the three parts of a classical column: base, shaft, and capital. Over the years, Schuyler’s metaphor has been applied to, and used to explain numerous facades, and has mutated to become the accepted explanation, but is wrong. This type of façade was inspired by Italian Renaissance Palaces such as the tripartite façade of the fourteenth/fifteenth century Palazzo Davanzati, which likewise has a basement, a shaft, and a third tier of space at the top–complete with an order in the loggia. The tripartite formula became a popular pattern used by architects across the nation such as Daniel H. Burnham & Company’s Flatiron Building (New York City, 1901–3). Even two-decades after this façade pattern had been first implemented, it had yet to fall out of style.

      The Aesthetic Movement

      Aesthetic Movement architecture (which is usually called the Queen Anne Style) began in England in the 1860s and then came to America in the 1870s. It was largely used as a secular architectural style, which some critics considered to be a major flaw (since it did not transition into sacred commissions). This style was characterized by its freedom, especially in color, picturesque, and asymmetrical design, and complex ornament. One of its greatest practitioners was R. Norman Shaw and one of the most famous buildings was the New Zealand Chambers Building (London, 1871–3 destroyed), an office building. Shaw used architectural elements to break up flat surfaces and shatter the light across the exterior of this building. The tendency to create highly textured facades would become a feature associated with Aesthetic Movement architecture on both sides of the Atlantic.

      H. Richardson’s William Watts Sherman House (Newport, Rhode Island, 1874–6 and numerous additions) was one of America’s earliest Aesthetic Movement architectural works. Most Americans would be introduced to the other aspects of the Aesthetic Movement at the Centennial Exposition in 1876. The Sherman Residence was a combination of established and innovative architectural features. The established features included the asymmetry (attempting to break the box) of early nineteenth century homes. The innovative feature was a new form of space—the living hall. The Sherman House’s living hall stretched the depth of the building and contained a hearth and a massive staircase. A variety of rooms (public, private, servant quarters) radiated off this living hall which produced an irregular floorplan.

      The irregularity of the floor plan was expressed in the asymmetry of the façade’s exterior. Within the gables Richardson created the silhouette of a saltbox house. The inclusion of this profile is noteworthy as Richardson revived a distinctive aspect of American colonial architecture. Additionally, on the facade, Richardson varied surface texture, allowing light to break apart on the surface, causing a scintillating effect. Inside, a selection of decorative objects—such as art glass—further underscored the philosophy of the Aesthetic Movement.

      Second Empire Paris and Ecole des Beaux Arts Classicism

      Charles Garnier’s Paris Opera House (Paris, 1862–75) is a building about spectacle. A grand structure, it was one of many that fit into Baron Haussmann’s revitalization of urban Paris. The Opera’s spectacle begins with its location. Built on its own island, it is approachable from several streets and the major Avenue de l’Opera, terminating in its own Place (a plaza or square). Though one may be distracted from the shear amount of ornament on the façade, the exterior overlooking the Place can be distilled into a podium-like arcaded base, atop which Garnier placed a colonnade. This colonnade was a recognizable variation of the two-part façade that Bramante’s House of Raphael popularized back in the Italian Renaissance, now quite popular in Paris. Garnier proceeded to adorn this classical façade with sculptural accents for which he employed some of the finest artistic talents in Paris—such as Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, who sculpted A danca.

      The building’s entrances were designed to accommodate the societal needs of different opera-goers, from the Emperor to the bourgeois. Once inside, the spaces Garnier created is the mark of the classical training regimen of the Ecole des Beaux Arts, the institution that taught Garnier. The spacious lobbies, wide staircases, and sumptuous veneered surfaces served as dramatic platforms and backdrops to an environment designed for people to see and be seen. Underneath these elaborate surfaces, the Opera’s structure made use of the latest advancements in iron construction. Inside and out, this building makes use of Classical sources.

      Although there were almost 200 structures built for the World’s Columbian Exposition (hereafter WCE—Chicago, 1891–3), the fair became a dialectic of two courses in American architecture, Ecole des Beaux Arts classicism (evident in the architecture of the Court of Honor) and Picturesque/Aesthetic Movement (evident in the architecture surrounding the Lagoon). In America, leading up to the WCE, picturesque traditions such as the Aesthetic Movement—with their colored, asymmetrical, and scintillating surfaces—were popular.

      For example, Louis Sullivan’s predominantly red and gold Transportation Building extended this visual tradition to the WCE. In contrast, the majority of the main fair structures were constructed in the tradition taught at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. These fair buildings were unified by their coloring (white), classically inspired architectural elements, unified cornice line (65’), and axial symmetry. Beaux Arts classicism had such an effect on fairgoers that it would become the favored architectural style in America for the next several decades.

      The differences between these two architectural vogues were further underscored in the WCE’s landscaped environments, designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Olmsted’s landscape architecture for the Court of Honor was a well proportioned symmetrical basin in perfect tandem with the balanced (all buildings had a 65’ cornice line) and symmetrical Ecole des Beaux Arts classicism surrounding it. For the lagoon area, Olmsted designed an irregularly shaped lagoon, in the middle of which was a wooded island with picturesque trails.


      Assista o vídeo: XIX Łódzki Festiwal Chóralny Cantio Lodziensis (Janeiro 2022).